Author Topic: 1851 confederate navy .44  (Read 567 times)

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
1851 confederate navy .44
« on: January 11, 2004, 10:25:13 AM »
I don't know yet, but i think i may have been bitten by the blackpowder bug! I saw the 1851 navy in Cabelas for under $100. is this gun even worth shooting? I'm just getting started in blackpowder so i don't really know whats what yet. I would like a ROA in stainless, but maybe i should try the sport out first to see if i like it. Seems like i can hardly go wrong for $100, but i also know you get what you pay for! Thanks for any help-Tad :D

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
1851 confederate navy .44
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 03:13:09 PM »
I would suggest strongly that you reconsider the Confederate Navy in .44!  First of all, it is not authentic in that the .44 caliber in the Navy revolver is a fabrication of the Italian gun makers.  Second, the brass frame is softer than steel, and the pin that the cylinder revolves around is screwed into the frame at the rear by only a few hundredths of an inch.  This part takes the greatest stress in both shooting and loading and brass framed revolvers normally show their wear much more quickly and become loose.  The all steel Navy pistol in .36 is one of the finest reproduction pistols extant and it points like a laser and shoots like a dream.  Its price is only slightly more from Cabelas and it's the "best buy" in the blackpowder handgun world!  My next choice would be the Remington in either .36 or .44 as they are a whole bunch stronger than the open top design of the Colts.  I have a Navy that will shoot 2" or 2.5" groups at 20 yards most of the time, and I've killed squirrel, rabbit and one fox with it!  These are more than just plinking pistols.  But, if you can only have one, then I'd save my money and buy the Ruger!  Regards;

Dan C