Author Topic: Anyone use Fusion ammo??  (Read 533 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone use Fusion ammo??
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »
I've tried 165 gr. Fusions in my Winchester model 88 308 Win.  They shoot very well, as most ammo does in this rifle.  However, I've never shot any game with them.  I'm looking for a good all round bullet for both my 280 Rem. (Remington 700 Classic) and my above mentioned 308 Win. for deer, hogs and black bear hunting.  How will the Fusion ammo work for what I'm going to use it for?  I don't want to go over kill for deer but I want to use the same bullet for hogs and black bear.  So I don't have to sight in with different ammo every time I hunt one or the other mentioned game.  Or is there something better I can use to hunt all three of the above mentioned game with switching and having to sight in something different?   Thanks, NYH1!  ;)
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone use Fusion ammo??
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
I used that exact same load on hogs last year in my Remington 700 in .308. I took one smaller size hog ( about 85lbs) and while my shot placement could have been better (they kept moving around so much), two shots did the job. It's insides were all torn up when we gutted it.  My range was about 60 yds or so.

Interestingly enough, I had better performance from a Marlin .30-30 with 170gr handloads on a hog twice the size. However, that one was shot in the head from about 10 yds away. So, I think your ammo wil be fine for the game you mentioned.

I'm going down to TX tomorrow to hunt them again, but this time I'm using the .308 with handloaded 165gr. Nosler Accubonds. I think if I see a "big 'un", the AB will be better penetration wise.

Hope that helps.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis