Author Topic: Copper "Tape" for Gas Checks?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Copper "Tape" for Gas Checks?
« on: November 17, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »
Was thinking on DIY gas checks. Dawned on me that electronics suppliers sell adhesive backed copper tape to shield electronic devices. Anyone think this tape could be effectively used for gas checks?

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
Re: Copper "Tape" for Gas Checks?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:23:08 PM »
A lot depends on how thick it is, and how evenly you can apply it. If you off-balance the bullet, it won't shoot well at all. My first thought is that it won't be heavy enough to perform a gas checks duties. It sounds like a good winter project, try it & let us know how it works.

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
Hello, flmason.  Several years ago, the Fouling Shot (Cast Bullet Association magazine) had an article on using the thin copper tape used by stained-glass workers as a "paper-Patch"  Claimed jacketed bullet velocity & acccuracy.
   Might be hard to apply uniformly on that narrow gas-check shank?
Just a thought..what if a disk was punched out of this tape?   You might need to turn a corresponding c'bore in face of sizer die to hold concentric..perhaps not.  If thin enough, forcing the bullet into sizing die could very well from it into a cup & apply at same time?  Worth a try.
    The only draw-back would be due to it's thiness..the forward facing edge wouldn't be as effective as the thicker commercial gas-check in scraping any lead from bore & therefore maintaining consistant bore condition.  Best of luck.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
Hello, flmason.  Several years ago, the Fouling Shot (Cast Bullet Association magazine) had an article on using the thin copper tape used by stained-glass workers as a "paper-Patch"  Claimed jacketed bullet velocity & acccuracy.

Would you happen to know what issue that was in?...

I must have missed that article...

I think it could work by setting it in place with a sizing die...

Just curious as to the issue...

Thanks...BCB

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:28:38 PM »
The copper tape is only 7/32" wide, barely enough to cover the bottom of a 25 caliber bullet. However, there are sheets of copper that are adhesive backed that might be usable but I'm not sure how. I've been crafting stained glass for about 25 years and there isn't anything in that industry that's usable for checks.
Now, I high end roofer who has copper flashing in rolls would be a good contact for gas check material. Of course you'll need the Freechex punch to make them.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »
Hello, BCB.  Sorry for long delay in reply..The article is in Journal No. 106 Nov.-Dec. 1993.  by Dave Proost.
    He states the foil is 3/16" wide & .003" thick.  He also uses the tape to bring undersized bullet noses to groove dia.
The taped bullets are sized & lubed in lubsizer and he has driven Lyman 31141 cast of lyno. and wrapped in a single layer of tape, to 2500 fps. with 44grs. IMR 3031 in a Rem .700 .30-06.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:01:05 AM »
Hello, BCB.  Sorry for long delay in reply..The article is in Journal No. 106 Nov.-Dec. 1993.  by Dave Proost.
    He states the foil is 3/16" wide & .003" thick.  He also uses the tape to bring undersized bullet noses to groove dia.
The taped bullets are sized & lubed in lubsizer and he has driven Lyman 31141 cast of lyno. and wrapped in a single layer of tape, to 2500 fps. with 44grs. IMR 3031 in a Rem .700 .30-06.

Thanks...

I will need to look and see how far back my subscription went with The Fouling Shot magazine...

BCB

Offline Flash

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 02:05:13 AM »

Very interesting. I had the impression that the tape was going to cover the bottom of the base and not wrap the circumfrence. I have dozzens upon dozzens of rolls of this stuff and this is going to be my next reloading project. :)

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 02:13:27 AM »
I have been using cast bullets with gas checks for a long time.  It seems that there are 2 purposes for the GC.  The first is to protect the bullet base from the effects of hot gas and the second is to scrape the bore somewhat since it is a harder metal  than the lead preceeding it down the bore.

It will be interesting to see results of the testing you guys will be doing.  I would like to know if the tape sticks to the bullet for it's complete flight every time or if it comes off all the time or part of the time.  If it comes off that should affect the bullet's accuracy.

Offline Flash

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:36:05 AM »
It won't even hold on long enough to go through the sizing die. I used a .311 sizing die with a .308 cast bullet and one wrap of tape. The stuff peeled right off. I'm done

Offline bfrshooter

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 03:08:19 AM »
I have been using cast bullets with gas checks for a long time.  It seems that there are 2 purposes for the GC.  The first is to protect the bullet base from the effects of hot gas and the second is to scrape the bore somewhat since it is a harder metal  than the lead preceeding it down the bore.

It will be interesting to see results of the testing you guys will be doing.  I would like to know if the tape sticks to the bullet for it's complete flight every time or if it comes off all the time or part of the time.  If it comes off that should affect the bullet's accuracy.
This is not entirely true. A bullet base needs no protection from gas and I know of no revolver that needs them because a PB bullet made hard enough will seal the bore. Bases do not melt.
The GC came about for shooting softer lead and should be considered a "skid stop." Soft lead forced to take the rifling will skid and if the base has the rifling marks opened larger then the rifling is, gas will squirt past, erode the bullet and deposit lead in the bore.
The GC will grab the rifling and halt any skid and leakage yet make the bullet too soft or fast and the GC will also fail so your gun will still lead up.
A GC will NOT scrape out leading but will just run over it. Experiments have shown the outside of a GC on recovered bullets to be badly leaded up and bores fouled badly with lead. A GC will seal gas but only by it's action as a "skid stop."
Putting thin stuff on a base can not do it.
By using a PB bullet of the proper alloy, I have taken the .454 to 55,000 psi with great accuracy, no leading and recovered bullets showed skid at the front half but it halted near the base.
Let me see if I can get a picture. This shows a .45 Colt bullet with no skid at all. Then a .475 PB with skid at the front but not at the base. It is very accurate and the barrels are clean after shooting them for two years without cleaning.

Offline bfrshooter

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 03:20:04 AM »
Here is another test of a PB bullet.
The left target was shot with the .454 and factory loaded jacketed and some hand loads with XTP magnum bullets.
I shot the right target with a PB loaded over max at what I figured was around the 55,000 psi mark.
Yeah, it sounds silly!  :o