Author Topic: Advice Needed  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Advice Needed
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
So here goes an attempt to explain my Handi dilemma.

I have a D&T Custom 356 Win barrel that ran me $500. It shoots, but not as well as I would like.

I have a D&T Custom 357 Max barrel that ran me about $400. I shot it today. It shoots, but, again, not as well as I like.

Both barrels are of exceptional quality and have tons of potential. With the birth of my second child, increased responsibility at work and possibly another move in the near future, I have little time to reload anymore. Besides that my son now occupies my reloading room. My wife moved most all of my reloading stuff out into the garage while I was deployed. It's packed with all the gear I brought back from A-Stan too. The summers here in Lawton, OK are brutally hot and the garage is not temp
controlled. I will get back to reloading but not of any real volume.

I have a factory .357 Mag barrel that has been rechambered to Maximum. It shoots great! I originally planned to rechamber it to 35 Whelen R, but now I'm rethinking that idea.

I really want to get a bolt action chambered in .358 Win. I was thinking that a .308 Winchester M70 Featherweight would be a great rebore platform.

So what do I do? Sell the two D&T barrels keeping the good shooting factory Maximum barrel? Send off for a new .35 Whelen Handi barrel and just cut a rim counterbore? Continue to save for the Win M70 and rebore?

Decisions, decisions, decisions.... ::)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:03:15 PM »
Any chance of getting better performance out of the custom barrels?
I hate when i miss. But when I do, I can always come up with a reason why.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:32:15 PM »

He can probably make them shoot......if he had the time and space for serious reloading.  That's the major problem.

Dinny, I guess I'd keep the custom barrels for the time being.  I'd get the 35 Whelen barrel and do the rim cut, and I'd get another .357 barrel and do the .356/358.  Later, you could choose to keep the customs if they work out or turn them into your bolt .358.  To me, that would be the dollar wise way to go.

A question:  Why do you want a rim on the Whelen and then turn around and go to a rimless .358??????  The rimmed .356 loaded to .358 is great in the Handi.

Whatever you do, you're gonna have to fix the reloading situation, cause there ain't no cheap factory ammo for what you want to do.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:10:06 AM »
Since you have a 357 Max barrel that is leagal for deer in Indiana and it shoots good, why mess around with the custom barrels? Sell them and use the money toward a bolt gun you can make into a 358. You will not make back your money invested on the custom barrels, but some of it. I rarely sell any thing, once it is my hands, because I can rarely get out of it what I paid and then regret it later anyway. May I suggest a Savage action for your 358? It is cheaper to buy than a Winchester and you can swap out the barrel yourself with out doing a rebore. Decisions, decisions.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:19:08 AM »
I agree with above... keep your factory max... sell both D&T's and consider the Savage platform.... 4-D sells custom chambered and contoured drop in Savage barrels in every caliber that they carry reamers for (which is alot)... $300 your choice of barrel manufacturer.

http://www.4-dproducts.com/savage.php
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 03:46:46 AM »
Consider 'knocking together' a turntable type reloading bench for the garage corner (even if its hot you can reload a 'few' here & there) or a 'portable benchtop' set up that you can lock into a B&D Workmate to take inside and hang on the wall otherwise?
'Cause, ya just gotta be able to reload, son, regardless of rifles.
Always keep the good shooters that are easy to feed.
Put the customs out for sale, if one or both sell you can finance a bunch of the new dream, if they dont just figure the time isnt right or you are meant to keep 'em.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:57:06 AM »
I agree with above... keep your factory max... sell both D&T's and consider the Savage platform....

+1  I've seen Bench Rest shooters use Savage actions...  :-\

Or if you find any cheap action there is always Shaw.  I'm sending them 2 of my actions for barreling... someday!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 04:35:27 AM »

Pete's right. They're both quite capable of extreme accuracy considering the quality of work and components. I just don't have time to sit down and load like I used to. Don't get me wrong, I love my children but they do change our lives, forever.

Right now I have a standard Max load that just flat out shoots from the factory rechambered barrrel. Yesterday's velocities with the 180gr SS-PB were mid 2100s. It also shoots subsonic loads at 730fps into nearly the same hole.

consider the Savage platform....

For some odd reason I just can't warm up to the Savage. Probably because of the ugliness of them. ::) The Win M70 naturally fits me like an extension of my body. I can use it blindfolded, upside down or underwater. It just comes natural to me. ;)

Thanks for the ideas. I'm keeping track.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 05:11:38 AM »
Sacrifice is a part of life. Only you can decide what will get chopped and why. Most all of us have gone thru the same situations.

What I will offer is you will make time for what's important.

If your needing the $$ sure sell the barrels. If not, they cost nothing to keep, pack them away. As for the reloading, with out it I doubt you will be shooting much. As ammo is just not out there and when you find it.... Well its costly. Reloading is the only option now a days. That's mostly for those of us who have a supply of bullets powder and primers. If you need that your I. The SMS boat as reloading syuff is becoming scarce too...

Personally I would not rush into anything as you said time is short and if you only have little it may not be enough to extend and may be better allocated to family things.

Time will change and you will again have the time to revisit these "lost loves".

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 05:13:40 AM »
How about you declare a firearm moratorium for 2013 and just shoot what you have?  Get a window AC unit or a portable AC unit and put it in the garage.  I put a tiny AC window unit in my garage here in southern IN, it's not like being in the house but it's tolerable to work in.  Set up your reloading stuff and use it when you have time.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 05:32:30 AM »
You are most certainly welcome to your opinion. A savage may not be the most elegant rifle action made, but it works and works well. It works so well that Mosberg has copied it and now Remington has too with their new 783 rifle right down to the Accutrigger and barrel nut. It has been said that the only interesting rifle is one that is accurate. Accuracy is supreme to me. Knowing I can hit what I put my cross hairs on is reassuring and boosts my confidence. Remington has a good reputation for accuracy, but Savage is right up there too and they are easy and inexpensive to change your mind with. I have a Stevens 200 I bought in 30-06 and have changed it to a 7-08. I did it for $150 and I still have the 30-06 barrel, if I decide to switch it back.

Below is a 22 BR that started life as a 223 and I did not have to refinance the house to build it.

Below is a sub .5 MOA  5 shot group shot at 200 yards, I think it is beautiful. I made up 4 different loads to try. This one looked promising at 100 yards so I tried it at 200 yards. I think I could do much better with some more load development. So I think the rifle is not too bad. BTW it is not a target scope, it is a 6 X 18 Nikon Buckmaster. It may shoot even better with a good target scope.

As I said, you are welcome to your opinion, but a deer or what ever is not going to give a rats behind what the gun looks like. Further, I like my Handi rifles, but in my opinion they are not as good looking as a Ruger #1 or a good quality rolling block action for that manner. I own them because they are inexpensive (at least they used to be) and you can get pretty good accuracy out of them.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 05:35:36 AM »
How about you declare a firearm moratorium for 2013 and just shoot what you have?  Get a window AC unit or a portable AC unit and put it in the garage.  I put a tiny AC window unit in my garage here in southern IN, it's not like being in the house but it's tolerable to work in.  Set up your reloading stuff and use it when you have time.

I have thought about the portable AC units and considering that I rent my house, it's not much of an option to rough one in. I will trade you summer temps all day everyday. I grew up in northern IL, there's no comparison to SW OK. Last two years we had 100+ days of temps over 100 deg and 90+ days without any rain.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 06:17:17 AM »
I'll give you the preference to the 700, but once you have a bolt action with a barrel and trigger on it the fit is in the stock, not in the barreled action (I know you know that, just talkin' here.....) and I really like the Savage 22LR HB c/w AccuTrigger I bought a couple of years ago. The CF has also been a winner in the Cast Bullet Assoc. matches and used by more and more for builds. I would be looking at one myself (in a NY minute) if in the 'market' for a bolt gun.
I suggest looking at them a bit more, consider the stock options, maybe handle and shoot some and do a build list for one to compare to the build list for your other option(s).
I sure like the idea of the easy barrel swap, especially for a guy that likes to try different calibers (if we know anybody like that  ::) ).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 07:55:14 AM »
I tell you another inexpensive and very very accurate bolt rifle right out of the box is a Stevens 200... you can walk out of about any store for $300 or less... don't know about custom options but oh boy its a shooter.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 08:04:25 AM »
Young man, life is too short to make due with things you're not happy with.  Since you're west of the big muddy, that's the 'real' WEST, you need a lever gun, so let me introduce you to a new addiction.   It's called Marlinitis. 

I believe you should sell the barrels you're not happy with, in fact sell ALL the things you're not happy with, and get a Marlin in 356 Win.  You already got the reloading stuff.  That should keep you busy for a decade or so...

JMHO...

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 08:09:50 AM »

I know a little about moving because of different assignments every few years.  Without a doubt some locations are better than others.  Too hot or too cold seem to be the norm.  I have a good bench in my garage now days but in the early days we moved from the winter station to the summer station and back to a winter rental.  Then we lived in a mobile home, shed that and moved to a new station with a good garage bench from that into a larger resident with a smaller garage.  In the process we added a son, and then a daughter.  There were a few more moves after that.  Life is never simple.  But kids grew up and moved out.  One of the extra rooms became the computer and sewing room and the other a quest room for friends visiting grandkid, and great grandkids.  So adapting is a fact of life.

In 1969 I found the answer for me that lasted a few moves until I gave it to a friend that had move into a mobile home and need something portable.  In the 1969 copy of THE NRA HANDLOADERS GUIDE page 28 I found a picture, directions and materials list for the construction of a PORTABLE reloading shop.
At the time I built it we owned a mobile home but from there we lived in a couple of rentals until we bought our first home.  The home had a carport and that was not a great place to load in plus 90 degree temperatures or 18-degree temperatures so the portable press stand still got a workout.  Life was good when I took another promotion. We   bought a larger home with a big two car garage that was temperature control by Mother Nature.  During the summer it was too hot during the day.  I wished I had my portable press stand to use in the house.  I just mass produced in the garage at night and was looking ahead to my next move.  I have moved twice after that and built three reloading benches. 
Every once and while when temperatures do not suit me in the garage I have thought about doing some loading in the house on a temporary bases. 

I cut an old Formica dining table into a portable shooting bench that I could slip into the back of the pickup and head for the mountains.  It is small enough to disassemble and put into an Army footlocker.  My Plan “B” is to set it up in the computer room or living room for a day.  It will work as is for loading pistol rounds but I think I need to temporary 2x6 or 4x4 leg to support it when sizing rifle cases.  Normally a short piece can be bought as trim at a lumber yard. (I am thinking 4x4 because I have it)
I should note that the old Army footlocker is the reloader’s friend.  My wife is an Army brat who moved a lot.  She has been very supportive of my reloading, even at the kitchen table when first married.
The portable press stand and portable table are low price alternatives that can be given away or dumped at no great loss.  In this day and age I would not get rid of firearms or parts.  The rules are changing.

Store the barrels.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 10:28:44 AM »
Seems like one way to answer Dinny would be to poll the members:

...has anyone on this site ever sold a firearm and later wished they had it back?

I'm a multiple yes.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 11:07:38 AM »
...has anyone on this site ever sold a firearm and later wished they had it back?

Well, lessee here...  :-\   Most decidedly YES!!  Everyone I've ever sold!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline blind ear

• eddiegjr
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »
The only one that I sold and didn't trade on another rifel that I liked better was a Garand and I have never missed that fence post. ear
Oath Keepers: start local
-
“It is no coincidence that the century of total war coincided with the century of central banking.” – Ron Paul, End the Fed
-
An economic crash like the one of the 1920s is the only thing that will get the US off of the road to Socialism that we are on and give our children a chance at a future with freedom and possibility of economic success.
-
everyone hears but very few see. (I can't see either, I'm not on the corporate board making rules that sound exactly the opposite of what they mean, plus loopholes) ear
"I have seen the enemy and I think it's us." POGO
St Judes Childrens Research Hospital

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
Mr Dinny has a problem that many up in Canada wished they had.

the cost of custom barrels up here is ridiculous, unless you can do them yourselves.

and then, the new barrels routinely run around $400 + Tax + shipping....

Offline casca1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
here is some advice froma soldier who was in the same STICK as you, numerous deployments around the world in an 8 yr span - and a barracks rat by choice and some times personal owned firearms was kinda well, not welcome.

your barrels won't eat a thing so pack em up and save them for when the time is ready you can enjoy them.  besides when you got two real youngsters NO REASON, to miss their growing up more than you have too.  I could always think of better things to do once I got on friendly ground and it sure was pullin a handle in a room by myself

been down that road
casca
I DON'T WANT NO MORE ARMY LIFE
PLEASE SIR,
I WANNA GO HOME
1983-1990

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
Keep or sell, no biggie.  You can always replace them.   Make good friends with the armorers on base, they can help with replacements someday.  If you keep the barrels, remember this:  Kids grow up, and fast.  Don't miss out on that any more than your profession requires.  Keep the loading stuff if you can find space.  That baby in the crib will be your loading/shooting buddy quicker than you can imagine.  Heck, my grandson is now 12 and just starting to learn the reloading process.   His dad I ruined at an early age as well.  It is better to teach them hunting/fishing/shooting/reloading skills than any Nintendo or WII that can be bought.  You can even sell that one to the wife, learning and life skills development.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice. I'm still split between selling and keeping. I'll give it some more time to kick it all around.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 04:15:29 AM »
I can't help you with your decision, but I for one am hoping for a milder more normal summer here in Okieland like you.  ;)
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 06:15:17 AM »
Dinny, focus on your kids. It is a long old life, but childhood goes by rather quickly. Spend as much time with them as you can. Hobbies are best when shared. Some of my best memories with the kids are camping, backpacking, fishing, and yes shooting. Best wishes, Mike.

Offline audrey1216

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »
I don't have any advice on the barrels although if I had them, I suspect I would regret it later if I sold them.  On the reloading side of things, I suggest considering the hand held Lee press.  I tend to use that in my house a lot to get out of reloading in the cold shop during the winter and it may be of benefit to you.
If you are like me, when you get to my age, you might decide you enjoyed shooting and hunting even more because of your kids. Mine are my fishing and hunting partners and I do more of both because of them.  Lastly, I bet your wife is sure glad to have your help now that you are back. - Mike

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »
Lastly, I bet your wife is sure glad to have your help now that you are back. - Mike

Yes she is. You should see my list of honey do's. :o

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »
I learned this evening that my .357 Max (OEM Mag rechamber) fits to the receiver I have had my custom .356 Win barrel attached to. I swapped out the TDC stock set and now the Max has it's own dedicated receiver and a checkered cinnamon lam stock set and for end. It looks sharp!

So I think I will sell both my D&T custom stubbed barrels, 357 Max and .356 Win. I will use the proceeds to order new factory barrels in .357 Mag and .35 Whelen. I'll have the Mag barrel rechambered to .356/.358 Win and the Whelen barrel will get a rim counterbore cut for modified 7x65R brass.

I should be able to utilize trusted and proven load data from the other .356/.358 Win Handi owners and the rimmed Whelen can wait if needed until I move farther North.

IMO, factory barrels are easier to shoot. They may not shoot as well as custom barrels but they will shoot good enough for me and without much time invested.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »
Sounds like a plan. Just remember NO SWAMP COOLERS WHILE RELOADING!!! Lol, as for the Savage I loathed them until I built one. Came across an ole beat up .243 Savage in a swap and screwed a cheap adams bennet barrel in it and bingo! Between the new barrel, heavier recoil lug, and aluminum bedded stock it gets just as much trigger time as my elegant rem vssf2 in the squirrel fields of northern ca. In fact it holds the rights to my longest squirrel kill yet. Can't honestly say I'm over the ugly action but I don't care as much when I look at the groups or dead critters. As for the barrel nut, when this barrel is wasted I'm not going to use one on the next barrel.
I hate when i miss. But when I do, I can always come up with a reason why.