Author Topic: Extra Barrel Storage  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Papa Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
Extra Barrel Storage
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »
I decided to do something about my extra Barrel storage, rather than have them laying on a shelf ,on top one another in my gun cabinet....
I used an idea from someone on this Forum, so it's probably not new to some of you, I posted a thread some time ago looking for others ideas.
Materials used:
3 each 3/8" Electrical clamps
1ea 3/8" dia X 36" long solid steel round rod
3 each 1/8" thick X 1/2" wide steel spacers the size of the clamps to space the rod away from the surface of the cabinet door.
Screws,washers,nuts.
Some foam weather stripping to rest the muzzles on.
I took some pictures but they wouldn't load, I guess they are too big ,over 2 MB, so here is a link to my photo bucket, hopefully you can view the photos there... "PJ"

Try this link....              http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q191/62cad/Handi%20Rifles/ 
Viet Nam Veteran, 69-70, Troop D (AIR) 3/4 Cav. 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI. Helicopter Crew Chief UH-1H.

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
Re: Extra Barrel Storage
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »

A little help for Papa Jack.

Good looking rack! Jack!

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:55:01 AM »
Looks nice! It seems like they simply hang there, do they ever fall off when moving the door?

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »
I like it a lot !!!

I think I will add one to my gun cabinet, the only change I am considering for mine would be to cold blue the rod, a little black paint for the hardware, and wiggle board finished like a stock for the muzzles.

Otter Bob

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
nice job good idea. might do that on the in side door of my safe.you have more room for more barrels you hand holic you.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »
Looks nice! It seems like they simply hang there, do they ever fall off when moving the door?

I was thinking the same. I bet an elastic bungee of some sort could be affixed across them all to keep them on the bar. That's if it is really even needed...

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Papa Jack

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »

A little help for Papa Jack.

Good looking rack! Jack!
Thanks for the help Capt. !!  I knew there must be a way to make the pictures appear like magic..... LOL  PJ
Viet Nam Veteran, 69-70, Troop D (AIR) 3/4 Cav. 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI. Helicopter Crew Chief UH-1H.

Offline Papa Jack

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »

That Door is 4X6X 1/8" steel.... I was afraid some one would slam the door shut someday and I would have scopes flying everywhere !
So far they sit very well on that rod and don't move much at all. The Rod is spaced 1/8" away from the door, so thats about perfect for the bottom of the "Lug" to fit down flush with the radius on the rod. Pretty stable. That lug has full contact with the door.    "PJ"

Offline Papa Jack

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »

I was thinking the same. I bet an elastic bungee of some sort could be affixed across them all to keep them on the bar. That's if it is really even needed...

Thanks, Dinny
I thought about taking a piece of wood and drilling holes for the barrels ends to stick thru and bolting that to the door incase they did decide to fall off....The wood would catch the barrels. But with the weight of the barrels I found this to be pretty stable with out it....    "PJ"