Author Topic: SMOOTHBORE FOR SLUG  (Read 2317 times)

Offline catncarp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
SMOOTHBORE FOR SLUG
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:39:12 AM »
Has anybody used a 20 gauge smooth bore to shoot rifled slugs. and  what choke. how much would have to be cut off a full choke to shoot slugs, thanks for any help
7mm-08,  223, 30-30, 30-30 ai, 357 mag, 357 max TALO, 20 gauge, 50 cal huntsman, 22 mag, 20 gauge smoothbore slug, 30-06-03 target, 20 gauge full,  NRA LIFE MEMBER,

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: SMOOTHBORE FOR SLUG
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »
I've killed two deer with rifled slugs and modified choke.  federal truball was the most accurate.
my brother uses 16ga. out of a full choke with no harm.  the slug is so soft that it doesn't harm any choke.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 11:30:15 AM »
I'd try it first with simple foster type slugs and see how it shoots. You may be surprised. I have a Pardner with modified choke and the plain old Remington slugs shoot fine out of it to 75 yds or so.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
I'd try it first with simple foster type slugs and see how it shoots. You may be surprised. I have a Pardner with modified choke and the plain old Remington slugs shoot fine out of it to 75 yds or so.

Joe

I completely agree!!

I have used a mod choked Ithica for a couple!!  IIRC they where regular federal 5/8oz foster slugs, back before slugs where sexy...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »
IIRC the basic Rem. 'Sluggers'(?), are the smallest dia. compared to Federal or Win., and most discount type places (around here thats Farm & Fleet, etc.) stock them all at the best prices.
Buy a box and try 'em, if they work OK buy more!
FWIW, The WW Super X has shot the smallest groups for me out of several gauges, Federal next and the Rem Sluggers the worst, though still adequate for 50ish yds.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 03:11:32 AM »
Field & Stream has an article on just this topic this addition. Full choke is reported to open the group. 75 yards seems the effective range in the article. If you need to open the full choke , do just that . Most chokes are in the 3/4 inch length. better to hone or ream the choke to mod . Or have tubes installed , if so go with a rem thread and then a rifled tube could be used add sights and have a honest 100 yard slug gun .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 06:52:44 AM »
Has anybody used a 20 gauge smooth bore to shoot rifled slugs. and  what choke. how much would have to be cut off a full choke to shoot slugs, thanks for any help

I shoot 'em out of any of my shotguns, welllll not the ole single barrel 12's anymore :o ..[age an arther :( ]..shoot 'em regulary out of my full choke 410's, have the best luck with the sluggers..
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »
I am in the same boat as the other guys, shoot some cheap REM Sluggers through it and see what it will do, you may be quite suprised. Cutting the choke out of a shotgun will probably not make it shoot sabots any better because there is nothing to impart the spin on the sabot, it may or may not improve its ability to shoot foster style slugs. I have an H&R pardner in mod. 20 ga. that is very accurate out to 50-65 yrds. with Rem sluggers! Good luck with your experimenting. JamesIII

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
I read the same article in field and stream. It was really interesting. I have a ton of 12ga Winchester superX rifled slugs and they seem to do great of out my bolt action gamester. These are the only ones I have really tried with any of my smooth bores. 75rds is a breeze. Has anyone else tried these with similar results?

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
I have a 22" 20ga mod choke that will keep the remington sluggers inside a paper plate at 75 yards. Thats minute of deer for me.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
Killed my first deer with a 30" Mossberg 500 fixed full choke at about 125 yards, lucky? probably. We called it the "Cannon". I've shot quite a few slugs through various chokes and always had the best luck with Winchester Super X's. I wouldn't mess with the choke until you find out how it shoots.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »
Field & Stream has an article on just this topic this addition. Full choke is reported to open the group. 75 yards seems the effective range in the article. If you need to open the full choke , do just that . Most chokes are in the 3/4 inch length. better to hone or ream the choke to mod . Or have tubes installed , if so go with a rem thread and then a rifled tube could be used add sights and have a honest 100 yard slug gun .

Am I reading this correctly... there's a Remington rifled choke insert... that effectively spins a slug? 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 09:21:53 AM »
Yep , in 12 ga there is one that fits flush with the muzzle and one that is extended. I had a smooth bore bbl with rifle sights. Where I hunt it can be thick , really thick. So I wanted a gun that would shoot both buck and slug. So I had the bbl threaded for a rem choke. Got a custom choke for buck shot and an extended rifled tube for for sabot slugs and all was good. Then I see a rifled tube that was flush on sale so I got it tried it and it gave a tighter group than the extended tune IN THAT BBL. other bbls have been the opposite . I also ran across a STRICHT rifled full choke tube and with small / fine shot it throws a very tight pattern. My youngest son shoots one at a local turkey shoot and wins quite a bit. In 20 ga. I ordered one but it wasn't rem choke . Carylie or something
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:38:41 AM »
 My experience with testing slugs in my 870 smooth bore slug barrel is the same as gcrank1 got.
   1. WW Super X
    2. Federal
    3. Rem    Spikehorn is right paper plate size is minute of deer. Why settle for that when something else shoots better.  Don't answer that Gene. ;D

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »
I agree with spikehorn. My 22" 20 ga. youth model will group Rem. Sluggers into a paper plate at 75 yds. That may not seem to be very good accuracy for you guys with the rifled barrels, but it has been good enough for more than 15 deer so far and no misses. I use this pardner for all my hunting these days. One gun for everything I hunt is really fun. And I'm not scratching up any of my "beauties".

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »
The buck in my Avatar was taken with a 20 ga slug. The 20ga is a fine deer killer as far as you can put that slug where it needs to go .Just don't take iffy,or I hope shots, and you will put venison in your freezer.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline catncarp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 08:13:17 AM »
Got my 20 gauge 26 inch full choke shooting great, had to ream the barrel .027 from full and the groups went from 6 inches at 50 to 1.5 inches. thanks for all the answers and advice.
7mm-08,  223, 30-30, 30-30 ai, 357 mag, 357 max TALO, 20 gauge, 50 cal huntsman, 22 mag, 20 gauge smoothbore slug, 30-06-03 target, 20 gauge full,  NRA LIFE MEMBER,

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
My experience with testing slugs in my 870 smooth bore slug barrel is the same as gcrank1 got.
   1. WW Super X
    2. Federal
    3. Rem    Spikehorn is right paper plate size is minute of deer. Why settle for that when something else shoots better.  Don't answer that Gene. ;D

Now Bob just cause I have a tracker II that is a tack driver, doesn't mean I don't like shooting the smoothies. I recently picked up a Tracker I barrel here on GBO and it's holding an honest 3" group at 75 yards with Remington sluggers.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »
Let's face it guys, for most of us hunting inside the woods edges, 75 yards is about twice as far as most of our shots will be.  And, if we have a chance to get a shot at one in the open, if we are shooting offhand, 75 yards is about as far as most of us should be trying to shoot.
So, anybody who is shooting a pie plate at 75 yards, you are doing just fine. Whether it is with a rifled bore, or a "smoothie".
Hit'em where they live.
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.