Author Topic: Scoping a Ruger superredhawk .480?  (Read 442 times)

Offline sniper2u00

• Trade Count: (5)
Scoping a Ruger superredhawk .480?
« on: April 30, 2004, 03:09:58 PM »
Looking to scope a Ruger Super Redhawk .480. Thinking about a Burris red dot 1x35mm or a Bushnell halosight ? Hunting north west Ill. timber & farm ground so shots should be 75yd. max. but most under 40yd. At these distances I think magnification is not needed but fast acquisition might be. Anyone use these or have a better idea??? Thanks

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 05:59:22 PM »
sniper,
I mounted a Leupold 2X on mine.  My older eyes will not let me use iron sights with the accuracy that I require.  Although I don't need the magnification with the 2X...I don't need batteries.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 02:27:24 AM »
Try a Ultra Dot. I have one on my BFR in 500MAG. I have over 1200 shots fired and the sight is holding up very good.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Deaf Smith

• Contributor
Scope on SRK
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 04:05:40 AM »
I have a pair of Leupolds both 2x and 4x that I use on my SRK depending on what the end use is. Leupolds are excellent scopes no doubt about it.
Jim L
Jim L
Proud TFL alumnus

Invalid e-mail address. TOS Violation. Acct. Deactivated

Offline Geno

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 04:36:45 AM »
I have the Leupold 2X silver on my SRH 480, looks good, works great and holding up very well. The Ultra Dot suggestion above is a good option also. They will hold up to most anything. I have one on a 45/70 Contender and really like it. Quality low powered optics gives you the peace of mind that the battery will not be bad when its needed.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 06:04:14 AM »
I have several handguns with either scopes or red dots on them. I have a Ruger Redhawk 44MAG with a Tasco Pro point, A Ruger slabside .22 with a Tasco Pro point, BFR in 500MAG with a Ultra Dot,  Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine with a Bushnell thophy 4X, Contender 444 Marlin with a Leupold 2X20 EER, Contender 45-70 with a Leupold 2X20 EER, Encore 30-06 with a Burris 3X9X32mm, Encore 22-250 with a Weaver 2.8X8X28mm, and a Encore 7mmBR with a Bushnell 2X6X32mm. Of all my scopes on my pistols I like the Bushnell the best for the following reasons. The Bushnell give me a faster sight acquisition and better field of view and no black out. Followed by the the Weaver,Burris and then the Leupold. The Leupold in the 2X20mmEER have a problem with finding the cross hairs due to black out and having to have it perfectly lined up. But as you can see I still have the leupolds. As far as red dot do, I have tried them all. I like the Ultra dot the best. The tascos I have came with the guns and when and if they fail I will replace them with Ultra dots.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 09:56:21 AM »
I have the Bushnell 2 x 6 variable on it.  Don't do that too heavy of a combo.  But the matte finish looks nice with the target grey finish.  I would put a Leupold or some other brand 2X on it.  As for the red dot you might have to get another mounting plate with Weaver cuts to use that.  Some wont fit inside the Ruger supplied rings.

Hcliff

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 05:33:22 PM »
I'll have to agree with redhawk on the Bushnell and Burris.  Although I mounted a Leupold 2X on my 480, I prefer the optical quality of either Bushnell or Burris over the Leupold.