Author Topic: New handi FTC  (Read 597 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
New handi FTC
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:19:46 AM »
I went to the range today to sight in a new 308 handi.   I was using the core lokt 150 and 180 grain.  The first 12 or so shot ok then a couple ftf then one fired and another ftf.  I pulled a few from the 180 grain box and all 3 ftf.   The primers were getting a dimple in them so I am not sure where pin the problem down to.  I know the quick way tell is grab a different brand of factory ammo but the problem is I didn't have time today and may not be able to get to te range again for another 6 months.   Has anyone had a problem with either this ammo or the handis?  I talked to both places and of course they were leaning me towards the other being the problem.  Thanks

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: New handi FTC
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:01:34 AM »
I don't recall hearing many .308s having that problem, is it brand new?  May be a transfer bar type issue, in the FAQ they did have a list of sku and lot numbers of Handis from the last year that had a factory recall but I thought they were 35 Remingtons and 35 Whelens..... Hope you figure it out. Tim (quick) will be back Tuesday he will have some help for you.  thejanitor

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »
That was ftf not FTC.  It is the spell check on my phone.  The gun is brand new but not sure how long it has been on the shelf for.  If I get time I am just going to but a different brand of ammo or maybe swap out the trigger group.   I just wanted to see if anyone else was having any issues with either the core lokt factory ammo or the rifles. 

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »
Were you pulling the trigger all the way through each time with the FTF's? The 308 has enough recoil to beat you up a little, especially after 12 in a row. It could be you were developing a flinch or not following through on the shot.

Spanky

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:32:42 AM »
I was Using the lead sled to sight it in so the recoil wasn't much of and issue.   The lead sled was a recent purchase and for my shoulder worth every penny

Offline oxfordnative

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
Call H&R at 866-776-9292 and ask them about the problem, I just got my 35 whelen back from them a couple of weeks ago. They had my gun back to me in less than 2 weeks.
You need to find your SKU # off of your box if you still have it. They go by that # instead of the serial #. Good luck with it, but that is to many FTF's. One is to many, I agree with the follow through on the trigger pull may be causing the FTF but I was taught to squeeze the trigger instead of pulling it hard and fast. Gun should fire when trigger is pulled.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »
Dollars to donuts it is the transfer bar issue (sorry to say); if you cant depend on it to fire with a normal trigger pull it isnt going to be much use.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »
Yep it was the gun.   I switched the barrel to a receiver that it locked up tight with and the ammo that failed to fire went bang.  Looks like it is going in for repairs.  Thanks for all the help