Author Topic: Scales!  (Read 698 times)

Offline Joshua M. Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
Scales!
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »
Hi Folks,

My new (to me) scales came today!  It's been a looong wait.

Background is a Lyman/Ohaus D-5, and in the foreground is a Redding with oil dampening.

The Lyman at zero...

... and the Redding with a calibration weight.

They both are spot on.

I really like the Redding.  Been playing with oil vs speed to zero and precision.  I think I've found a mixture of vegetable oil and a smidge of beeswax that works very well.  The original stuff I made up was too thick by a bit, but I think I can do better than the vegetable oil.  I happened to talk to Dad today and he said that in engineering they had always used 10 weight motor oil or similar, but I want to stay away from petroleum products around gunpowder.

Even with pure vegetable oil, the Redding settles down faster than any magnetically dampened scale I've seen.

Both beat the Lee I have all to heck!

I do believe one or both of these will be replacing my Lyman electronic scale.  That thing's just a bit too temperamental for my tastes.

I'm pretty tired today, but after working tomorrow making sights and such, I think I might give them both a spin!

As always, comments are welcome!

Thanks,

Josh

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Scales!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 02:05:30 PM »
I have an old white box Ohaus on the shelf too! Nice scale! 
I also have a Redding but not oil dampened like yours. I haven't used it in years...

These days a Lyman gets duty on my bench... I love the precision of a beam scale... I bought a electronic scale form Dillon some years back... just prefer the beam scale...

I think most know of my detest of most things LEE. But scales and powder measures are two things LEE would be best left to "real" reloading companies. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:07:43 PM »
I have been using a Redding for about 35 years now--still works very well. I use 90 weight gear lube in mine , and always have.--No problems.

cybinv

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
OK, maybe I'm a bit thick, but where does the oil go?  Pics might be helpful to make it clear to me...

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:41:03 AM »
OK, maybe I'm a bit thick, but where does the oil go?  Pics might be helpful to make it clear to me...

Just a Shooter

Under the pivot on the beam arm.  A paddle extends from the arm into the reservoir and the oil helps settle the beam. 

I would worry that too thick an oil might influence the accuracy?  Maybe not.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 12:59:29 AM »
What you need is called dash pot oil.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline aromakr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:14:04 PM »
I fail to see why petroleum products would be any different than vegetable oil around gun powder? You wouldn't want either one to contaminate the powder, some one please enlighten me!
Bob

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »

Just a Shooter
Under the pivot on the beam arm.  A paddle extends from the arm into the reservoir and the oil helps settle the beam. 

Thanks, that clears it up!

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 03:41:45 AM »
CW Longshot and I totally disagree on Lee equipment most of the time. Most of my equipment is Lee. But like him, it is a Lyman scale on my bench. I tried a Lee scale and it was a) hard on aging eyes, b) difficult to adjust and c) fragile(the beam broke). I have had the Lyman for more than 20 years-it was a birthday gift from my wife.
I also have found electronic balances temperamental. I am an engineer who has had responsibility for keeping scales in calibration. Balance types only need work if they get crud on them or banged around. The only electronic scale I ever worked on that kept its calibration well was a $1200.00 all stainless steel model designed for meat packing and other harsh environments. What chance does a $400 reloading scale have?
Contamination of the powder by the oil was mentioned but contamination of the oil by the powder is the bigger problem. That and oxidation of the oil are potential sources of inaccuracy. This is the advantage of magnetic damping over oil. It is not hard to see how well the oil damping could work if the oil is clean and fresh.
As long as the oil is a straight oil with few additives, an increase in viscosity alone won't affect accuracy as long as the oil is what is termed a Newtonian fluid. Most pure vegetable and mineral oils fit that description