Author Topic: Hiking\Shooting Monopod's and Shooting Sticks?  (Read 915 times)

Offline Propdoc03

• Trade Count: (0)
Hiking\Shooting Monopod's and Shooting Sticks?
« on: January 03, 2004, 05:03:00 AM »
I have always thought that the use of a walking stick while hunting and packing a rifle would just be another burden. However I am second guessing myself. I have a gift certificate for Cabelas and was looking at their website and ran across the hiking stick\shooting monopod. I am trying to decide whether this is something that I would actually use. I was also debating between these and the sitting\kneeling shooting sticks as I know I can use them for my black powder shooting. I did see a Stoney Point mono pod at a local shop a while back and it didnt seem like it was going to hold the locked in position, it kept collapsing. Have or are any of you using these and what are your thoughts on them?

Thanks PD

Offline Hound_Dog55

Hiking\Shooting Monopod's and Shooting Stic
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 06:32:22 AM »
Bought my son one for Christmas. I would recomend it as a shooting rest but it is way too flimsy to make a good walking stick. It does adjust anywhere from sitting to standing. Reminds me of  one leg from my wifes camera tripod. Would never stop me from falling :oops: .

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 12:16:38 PM »
Just make your own. This can be done in one of several ways.

Find you an appropriate sapling or bush growing in the wild of a diameter similar to what you want hopefuly with a fork at the top. Cut it to length and use it. Or if it doesn't have a fork where needed just add one yourself with a screw in "U" hook from the store.

You can also cut such a sapling or brush and leave a short section of limbs in a place or two for a lower shooting rest for sitting or kneeling. Or alternately you can use a leather thong in place of the short limb. Be inventive.

These are far more sturdy than the fold up or telescoping metal ones you buy and aren't as noisy either in use. Plus a whole lot cheaper.

GB

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 03:33:25 PM »
I used my Stoney Creek Bi-pod every time I went out. I lost it last week while out on my snow mobile on an elk hunt. Will definitely buy another. Highly recommend them.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline missed_shot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 08:54:47 AM »
I purchased the safari sticks from cabela's. I have used them with great success. They are much better than the mounted bipods because you can swing the gun on a moving deer. I shot a deer on the run using the shooting sticks with no movement problems. I highly recommend them. :-D
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 09:48:47 AM »
I use the same thing that  GBO MGMT told you about. If i loose it I just cut me another one and it has the best camo pattern you can get and the price is right for any budget :-D

Offline hans g./UpS

• Contributor
walking stick
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 11:16:43 AM »
That Cabelas "Alaskan Guide" model stick has kept me from taking some tumbles on muddy,shale slopes, but I wonder long term if I won't go to something sturdier.It partially collasps under 260 lbs of weighs,then squeaks quite a bit[needs a more positive locking mechanism].

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 03:00:47 AM »
I have made many a good walking stick from hockey sticks with busted blades for any of you all that have access to them.

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 05:56:08 PM »
Until just recently I had to use a cane to get around on many days I needed two canes, have been this way since a tree stand accident in 1989. Around 1995 I found something called a “trekking pole” made by Leki http://www.trekpoles.com/leki.htm. This company makes a pole called the Sierra http://www.trekpoles.com/leki-sierra-as.htm that will fill your needs to a “T”. The ball screws off and a gun rest (optional) screws on. I covered the gun rest with pipe foam and hold my Contenders on the pole with Velcro straps. It works real well for my Rugers too, just have to use the Velcro a bit differently. The pole telescopes in and out and adjusts to your height. I have one of the Sierra poles and a set of the Malibu poles.
BTY the screw is standard sized the same as that of a photo tripod so a camera will screw on it also
Love those .41s'

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 01:53:10 AM »
I use the Stoney Point Bi-pod. I can use it sitting down or adjust it for standing. Always have it with me when hunting.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA