Author Topic: Pennies to Gas Checks  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Re: Pennies to Gas Checks
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »
Didn't Vernon Speer make jackets out of .22 rimfire cases? It would be a multi-step process to turn them into gas checks though.

No, Dave Corbin did
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 09:19:24 AM »
Speer used .22 rimfire cases to make bullets first or at least that's what it says in my Speer #7 reloading manual...

Tony

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Speer used .22 rimfire cases to make bullets first or at least that's what it says in my Speer #7 reloading manual...

Tony

Correct, Dave Corbin offered the tools. I had to do some digging myself and found mention in Speer #5 that in 1943, Vernon Speer was selling bullets made of 22 rim fire cases so I guess he was the first.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »
There was an article in Handloader magazine recently about alternative gas checks. The authors conclusion was that if you don't have gaschecks, the second best option was to just shoot the bullets plainbased. He tried cardboard, milk cartons, weatherstripping foam, tin flashing and plastic from anti-freeze bottles. Everything let him down.

Anyone know what the effect of leaving the gas check off?

I seem to remember reading when I was a kid that boat tail bullets tend to burn out bores more quickly. I'm thinking a somewhat similar, if not as intense effect, would be the result of leaving the checks off.

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 07:05:43 PM »
Hello, geezerbiker..How are you getting those fired L.R. primers on the shank of a .22 cast bullet?  Their O.D. is .210",
most .22 G.C. shanks are .218". 
   And at .210 dia. it is .014 undersize for a .224 groove dia?  Unless your refering to those larger Berdan primers?

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
Hello, everyone.   Concerning custom jacketed bullets..you guys are going to have to back up a bit..long before Vernon Speer, or Dave Corbin.
    Ralph B. Sisk was born in 1894.  Always an experimentor, he sought a better bullet for varminting..in 1928, he made up a set of dies for converting fired .22 L.R. cases into jacketed bullets.
   The small business he started fed his small family thru the depression years.
The only calibers he made were .223, .224, & .228.
   P.O. Ackley asked him to make some .17 bullets for his new barrels shortly after WW2.
Mr. Sisk never automated his equipment..all his bullets were made by pulling a handle on an arbor press..he was able to turn out 15,000 bullets in a single day! (Must have had some arms!)
   Mr. Sisk passed away in 1970.

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
Don't know if the idea has merit... but for shielding electric guitars and such there's adhesive backed copper "tape".

Perhaps said tape can be formed into gas checks?

I too am looking for a non-manufacturer dependant way of making cast rifle bullets that sustain higher velocities.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 03:30:09 AM »
how about  the  new  type of duck tape they use  now??

or even  heavy aluminum foil....start it  like a ''patch and ball''
trim  with the  ''patch knife''  befor the  first band.....then finish seating the slug
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.