Author Topic: firing pin only replacement.... just ONE pin right?  (Read 318 times)

Offline Deavis

• Trade Count: (0)
firing pin only replacement.... just ONE pin right?
« on: December 02, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »
Looking through FAQs and stickys and stuff.... just to confirm.... If All I want to do is replace the firing pin and spring... Only ONE of those pins needs to come out correct? I dont need to do the hammer and trigger and all correct?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: firing pin only replacement.... just ONE pin right?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:02:46 PM »
That's gonna depend on the year of your frame....

Newer one will also need the transfer bar to be removed.

Check the FAQ's on trigger jobs. A good explanation of disassembly is there. Its not difficult, but make up a "slave" pin before you start. Use a piece of a drill just under sized to the hammer pin and shorter then the inside width of the receiver to hold parts together as you assemble. Then it gets pushed out with correct pin.... Save it for another day..

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Deavis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:25:52 AM »
Its from the mid 70s so no x-fer bar in place.

All the tutorials show taking the bottom trigger guard and all out first which I dont want to do if I don't have to. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »
I changed bunch of those pins years ago... IIRC You are correct, it's just the one pin as long as its not badly peened.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.