Author Topic: H&R 649 .22LR - best approach to repair?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline WaywardSon

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R 649 .22LR - best approach to repair?
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »
I was out at the range with one of my students Sunday.  While demonstrating double-action fire with my H&R Model 649, I had a misfire. 
Further inspection revealed that the cylinder had not fully rotated nor locked into place.  And when I removed the cylinder, I saw that one of the teeth on the cylinder ratchet had a small nick out of it. 
I'm pretty sure this is what's causing the problem, and will most likely take it to a gunsmith for repair.  But what I'm wondering is this.  In terms of cost, would it be better to have the gunsmith weld the chipped tooth and shape it?  Or would it be less costly to simply replace the cylinder?

If the latter, could someone point me to a source for a used / rebuilt / NOS cylinder for this pistol? 
I'm looking for the 22WMR cylinder as well.  This gun only had the .22LR cylinder with it.
I thank y'all in advance for your advice and opinions.

Offline jim ritchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: H&R 649 .22LR - best approach to repair?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »
Waywardson,
A repair probably won't be cheap, but, it may be your best bet.
That is if it can be welded.
I was a fair tig welder for many years, and I know I am nowhere near talented enough to weld such a small thin piece as one of the cylinder teeth. I am sure someone can though.
The lr cylinders for these revolvers are getting impossible to find
I have 9 H&R convertibles, and am always looking at more, and also at cylinders. 
I have probably sold over 20 of these cylinders in the past few years.
I am constantly searching for them.
I still run into the mag cylinders occasionally, but the lr are rare.
I do have a mag cylinder that I will sell, and recently bought a lr cylinder, but I am not positive it is the correct cylinder for the convertibles. I took a chance when I bought it, and I won't know for sure what it fits until it arrives.
I know of NO place to buy a new or rebuilt cylinder.
Both of the mag cylinders I have are in like new condition. I don't believe either of them even shows any powder blast on the face, they don't look as if they have ever been fired .
So, I can help you with a mag cylinder, and possibly with the lr cylinder.
Jim

Here's a few pics

model 649 5.5" 1980

model 649 7.5" 1980

model 650 1980

model 686 4.5" 1980

model 686 5.5" 1980

Model 686 7.5" 1980

model 686 10" 1982

model 686 12" 1980

Model 676 12" 1980

Deceased 3-31-2012