Author Topic: Cleaning Tumbler media  (Read 543 times)

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
Cleaning Tumbler media
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:33:00 AM »
 I thought I would share a trick I learned. Go to your local wine making supply store and get a straining bag. It is what they use to strain the pulp from the wine. It is perfect to put your dirty media from your tumbler in and wash it.
I just washed mine in dish soap and hot water, I had to rinse it about eight or so times, but it is now as clean as the day I bought it. I then hung the bag on the back porch and let it dry. The bag only cost about two dollars and is nylon so I expect it will last a long time.

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Tumbler media
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 06:55:27 AM »
This is an interesting solution. Personally, I buy walnut media at such a cheap price that I wouldn't find this necessary, but not everybody has the same resources I do, so this could be a real benefit to some.

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Cleaning Tumbler media
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
I tried washing my media, straining it through dryer sheets, and drying it on a furnace duct. Once. Now I just buy more walnut lizard litter.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline hillbill

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »
good idea! would pantyhose work for the strainer? i know media can be cheap, but where i live its the trip to town or the shipping that makes it expensive!

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 02:10:38 PM »
I just get corn cob bedding from the pet store and use that as tumbling media. It is so much cheaper. I add Nu Finish liquid car polish to the media and it puts a nice shine on the brass.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 01:55:21 AM »
I have tried the walnut media from the pet store and it worked ,but I seemed to have to leave my brass  in the tumbler about three times as long to get it to look good. It also was not a great deal cheaper than regular media.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 05:16:02 AM »
I never tried walnut.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 05:49:54 AM »
I'm going to give it a try and since we don't have any wine making places I'll use panty hose. Sounds like a good idea to get dirt and dust out.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 06:01:53 AM »
Okay... try Harbor Freight for fine walnut blasting media