Author Topic: convert handi-rifle to pistol grip for 357mag deer "pistol"  (Read 1519 times)

Offline diegohw

• Trade Count: (0)
convert handi-rifle to pistol grip for 357mag deer "pistol"
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:43:57 PM »
MY QUESTION: Is it legal to replace an 18" 357 mag Handi-Rifle rifle stock with a pistol grip to make it into an 18" barrel single shot pistol?  Legal issues? 

Background info: I hunt deer in Ohio and Indiana where 357 mag are legal for handgun hunting. 357 Rifle is NOT legal in Ohio.  A long barreled 357 "pistol" would be perfect (I think) for use in both states.

Practical issues?  P.S. I always hunt from a tree stand so holstering it is not a problem. Comments please!

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: convert handi-rifle to pistol grip for 357mag deer "pistol"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »
The overall length would be to short,that is my guess
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »
You are not allowed to convert a rifle to pistol,i am pretty sure tou can put a pistol grip on a shotgun and it will still meet length requirements 
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
here are the parameters you have to work with by the Feds, your states figures may vary.
Shotgun barrel minimum of 18"
Rifled barrel minimum of 16"
Overall length minimum of 26"

A Handi "pistol gripped" firearm legal by federal law if you meet or exceed those measurements. A (my) Handi Rifle "pistol grip" says on the side to use only with a barrel length of 22" or longer. I just measured my legal "pistol gripped" 20 guage H&R 20 guage shotgun. It has a factory 22" barrel and with the factory pistol grip the overall length is 26.5".
My belief is if you used a 22" .357 Mag barrel it would meet all the criteria including the required overall length but with an 18" barrel it would be at least 3.5" short by federal law...Good luck and I wish you luck, I think with the proper barrel it would be legal and should work....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

It is only illegal if you do not get approval and pay your tax FIRST.

If you abide by the law you can do it .

That configuration would be called manufacturing a firearm, and you would be required to FIRST file ATF form 1 application to make and register a firearm along with your making tax of $200.00 . You MUST receive approval before beginning the project. Subsequent transfer would require an application and $200.00 transfer tax.

Otter Bob

PS : you can even make the barrel the length you like with the correct approval and tax !

Offline diegohw

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »
Hmmm. You got me googling for more about this. How does the new ATF clarification on Rifle to handgun conversions impact this Handi-rifle conversion.  I would prefer the 18" barrel which makes it too long as a normal rifle. Here is the new ATF ruling.

Can anybody comment on the new ruling and how it would impact a conversion from rifle to handgun (having a overall length less than 26" but having a barrel of 18")?  Thanks!

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 06:27:24 PM »
  ASK YOUR LAWYER !

I AM NOT A LAWYER , THIS IS MY OPINION !

The way I understand the ruling Is :
The combination of parts can create either a regulated or unregulated firearm , if you create a regulated firearm you must have an approved application with paid tax before the creation , If you create an unregulated firearm then there should be no problem.
A short barrel and or short minimum overall length is regulated and would require an approved application and paid tax.

Can you offset the minimum overall length with a longer barrel and remain unregulated ? I do not know, but I would think you could. Again consult legal counsel !!!

Otter Bob

Offline KC8GOE

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »
The catch here is if you shorten it to unregulated length then it is a rifle not a pistol & therefore probably not legal for deer hunting.
Nothing tastes better than someone else's wedding cake.

Life Member NRA

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
This was covered not too many months ago from a fed level not a state level and I thought if your gun was mfgd and is registered as a RIFLE it can not become a pistol without paperwork from the feds. If you dig back through the threads one of the most recent was something like "if rossi can do this why can't H&R"
And a year or so ago it was covered but I do not know how new the "new" fed rules are you are refering to.  Just for the record I know nothing of the laws, but do remember reading about others here trying to do pretty much the same thing, but as I recall the final word was not probably the way you want it to go. If you want it to fit the pistol category without it originally made and sold as a pistol you are in a catch 22. You want the gamewarden to call it a pistol but you don't want the FBI to check it and wonder why your RIFLE is so short....
I would find the rule and read it myself before getting steered the wrong direction.
Good luck, and good job asking before building!  thejanitor

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »
 You would be money and hassle ahead to go get a T/C Contender or Encore in a .357

Lonny

Offline PPosey

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »
You would be money and hassle ahead to go get a T/C Contender or Encore in a .357

Lonny

Yep what he said, and I would go with a .44 or 41 mag as well if ya go the Encore route and want to stay a pistol cal.
Why ride a darn fine horse to death,, then blame the horse?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 05:16:44 AM »

Lonny

+1 one, to me an H&R pistol appears to have terrible ergonomics, would handle like a club.  :-\

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline epanzella

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 08:47:17 AM »
I seem to remember when the TC pistols first came out that it was OK to buy a pistol and convert it to a rifle, but you couldn't go the other way. If 357 Maximum is a legal deer round in your berg then rechambering may be the easiest and cheapest way out.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:14:45 AM »
Check out this site:
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
It is the "latest " ruling on "changeable" firearms

Perhaps our friend  ATLaw could translate this from leagleze to English so us less learned folks can understand it  ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "