Author Topic: This is getting ridiculous.  (Read 2268 times)

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
Re: This is getting ridiculous.
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »
 Many times the excuse is that we shouldn't expect much at the price we pay for these rifles.  I can't accept this as viable in the era of CNC machining with the tolerances that can be held.  Its plain lack of quality control, nothing else.  And as for the cheap prices, a Stevens 200 is not much more expensive, all of these I've seen worked out of the box and would shoot under an inch without having to spend hours fixing what should have been done before being shipped from the factory.

Offline kimark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 02:47:43 AM »
Sorry to hear  that things haven't gottin better at H&R.  I  got my Ultra 223 back from them for the 4th time in Aug. I bought it in the Spring of '08.  Got the 223 'cause I didn't want to get into reloading and wanted a 'yote, groundhog gun.  I was looking for a break barrel that I could put one of SMI's smokeless muzzzleloaders on and figured the Ultra with the  heavier laminated stock would help tame the recoil.  The muzzleloader shot like a champ but I couldn't get the 223 to shot any factory ammo worth a hoot.  Found some used reloading equipment and started reolading, still no luck. Found a gunsmith with a borescope and he shows me the barrel is pitted. By now it's 2010 and he says good luck with Remington.  Well I callem' and they say send it back, they put a new barrel on it and it still won't group.  Send it back and I get a whole new gun. Get it back and now my muzzleloadeer won't lock up on it and it still won't group.  Get to checking and the scope rail is .030 mis aligned to the barrel but at least the muzzleloader will lockup.  Send it back again.  This time before I mount the scope I take off the rail.  There fix of the problem was to hog out the holes to tweak it in and it was still mis-aligned.  Had enough so I take it to Dan Dewitt the owner of SMI to have it checked out.  He approved the lockup for the muzzeloader and re-drilled and tapped a new scope rail. It will keep 60gr Vmax under a "1 to 200yds with 19gr of IMR 4198 which is nice 'cause thats what I shoot in the muzzleloader.  I guess I can't fault them for trying to make it right but it seems to me they need to get some people with the ability to do the job right.  I would like to get a 357 mag and convert it to max since I hunt in Indiana but I sure don't want  another excperience like this again.  I guess the silver lining is it got me into reloading and I'm thinking about getting a dedicated varmint rifle in a Savage!!!!  It's actually sad, guess it proves  again that bigger isn't always better.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 03:17:13 AM »
I agree with you.  For about the same price you can get a Mossberg ATR or a Marlin XS7.  Most of the reviews I read on these cheap bolt guns were good.  Remington is hurting H&R by raising prices and reducing quality.