Author Topic: Optima or Not??????  (Read 917 times)

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Optima or Not??????
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »
I am from Ohio and I am looking at getting a new CVA optima with a scope.  The scope I would like to get Leupold VX-1 scope.

So my questions are, is this a good gun or should I look at different ones?  What is a good muzzleloader scope?  Is the VX-1 a good scope for a muzzleloader?  What kind of bullet, powder and primers should I use?  What is the maximum distance that you can kill a deer with this kind of muzzleloader?

I have only owned one other muzzleloader before which was a 100 dollar gun, however, if you have any tips or pointers to muzzleloaders please share. 
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Optima or Not??????
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »
I have 2 of the new model optimas and love them both, They are tack drivers out to 200 yards with the right load. Im actually selling or trading one in the Muzzleloading classifieds.

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
What would you be asking? 

Is there a scope that comes with it?
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline Maccool

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »
I have a 2006 optima (the old style with out the quick breech plug) and I love it, I shot 2 shots out of a lead sled this fall to make sure I was still on from the summer and it put the 2 shots about 1/2 inch away from each other to the point the paper plate was tore between them at 100 yards, so to say it's accurate is a understatement.
I think for the money of the leupold vx-1 I would go with a vortex diamond back, all the reviews I've read say that the vortex has better glass and they have a no questions asked warranty , so if you drop the gun and smash the scope they will repair or replace it free of charge.
http://www.opticstalk.com/vortex-diamondback-or-leupold-vx1_topic21496.html

http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-I-Riflescopes-C117.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Diamondback-Rifle-Scopes-C1409.aspx

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »
What would you be asking? 

Is there a scope that comes with it?

Im sorry i just traded it the other night for a hawken.

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
I just sighted in a new optima 26" barrel with the black thumbhole stock
I can't say anything bad about it for $250.00 :I know it is not aT/C or Knight
I had to go for another Breech plug for BH209 powder :Here are the results 2 range session about a total of 15 rounds fired.
My quick test load
BH209 95 Gr.
hornady 240XTP
Bushnell banner 3x9x40MM Made in Japan
50 yards off the bench
Headspace the firing pin bushing
Federal 209A

By lonewolfrock at 2011-12-03