Author Topic: Not to bring up a sore subject....brass trigger guards  (Read 559 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Not to bring up a sore subject....brass trigger guards
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:20:40 PM »
So...I've checked the faqs and I think we left off at Talley possibly making some.  But I think that fizzed out. We know the Moyer versions are probably using an outdated mold producing a rear tab too short in length, and Tim had real issues with the forearm spacer to say the least.

Is there any source for these parts in brass? :(

These, imo, are terrific little tweaks that really look great.  In fact, I'm going to fire off a polite suggestion email to Ilioin.

Also, are people replacing the forearm spacer because their OEM one is composite? ???

Failing this, I'm going to explore launching a small brass casting operation.  Precision and Customer Communication will be a priority.  ;D 8)   

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Not to bring up a soar subject....brass trigger guards
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
I think you meant to say "sore" instead of "soar"
The word "soar" has to do with flight. ;)

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »
Moyers discontinued their offerings, Talley is on the back burner last I checked, there was a seller on ebay and one of the gun auction sites selling brass spacers, Toth Tool was going to make steel parts, but I don't know what's happening with them, they were a sponsor for a while, but are no longer.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »
How frequently do the plastic guards break?  I've never actually heard of it.

Just wondering...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »
Anything will break with enough abuse, but regular handling I would venture to guess probably none.

It's more about what people want their Handi Rifle to look like, and the brass or steel spacers and guards or more for personal preference than function.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:23:12 PM »
Brass, Wood, Steel and sometimes ceramic have been the traditional materials for firearms since the earliest examples that are known.  The idea of having metal spacers and highly polished parts, is I'd venture to guess, what drives many to love firearms.  I know that my .45 Colonial pistol was the first "real" gun I was allowed to hold after my Grand-dad made it in the early 70's.  Ever since, I love a dark blued or browned steel gun with real wood and brass.  It gives a firearm a feeling of being almost an artform  and something very worthy to be used as inheritance later.  Something to be proud of.  ;)  I dare say that as times change, this has begun to transform some by those willing and even eager to use stainless and composite and even camoflaged firearms.  For those who grew up with a gun being more than just a tool, but something soulbound, it will always be the desire to make it something memorable and even beautiful.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Default_Required

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »
I'm with Tackle on this one, There is just something about a firearm made right with the right materials that speaks to you on a level you dont really understand , but do.   Like sitting around a fire or grilling its just part of us... But beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and variety is the spice of life , Have brass recievered guns as well and completely camo'd ones. Just cant use the camo'd ones to flag down a search and rescue team like I can with a brass recievered lever action ;)

DR

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Re: Not to bring up a sore subject....brass trigger guards
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
Thanks Spanky, fixed it.
Thanks Tim.  Shame there's no options out there.  Sure would look purty on the BC.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
I saw a 38-55 Handi a couple years ago with the brass parts on it and it was very nice. The parts really add some class to the rifles... especially if they've got some nice wood on them too.
Keep looking... if you can find the shiny stuff it's worth buying. ;)

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 04:38:58 AM »

Thanks Tim.  Shame there's no options out there.  Sure would look purty on the BC.

Roger that!!  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain