Author Topic: Just how many handi's???  (Read 534 times)

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Just how many handi's???
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »
 Can we maybe get some information from the horses mouth ? From Brian 56 maybe? How many barrels in what calibers have been made in the last 10 years ? Even as a percentage of the whole, if not hard numbers. or even since takeover by Marlin. Despite statements made, people ultimately vote with dollars. so it might be helpful to see what actually sold. In the continuing debate over possible new offerings, this could add useful fodder regardless of the content. Any chance for some statistics?? ;)
remember the starfish

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
Re: Just how many handi's???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would they tell us, or anyone else?

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
Just how many handi's???
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »
You'd think their own marketing people would already have looked at that.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
I bet the company wouldn't really give that info out. The idea of knowing those numbers would be kind of fun to kick around, but I bet that is need to know among top dogs at the company type info. I just know how many I have and the 7-08 is the most common and most hunted with at my house.... does that help. ::)
Couldn't help it.  thejanitor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »
The ATF has records on production, H&R made 38,589 rifles and 46,365 shotguns in 2009, the last year I could find numbers for.

Tim

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/
http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2009-firearms-manufacturers-export-report.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 05:19:34 PM »
The numbers are public record, the entire market can be studied by looking at ammo sales.  The most popular ammo goes into the most commonly encountered gun chambered for the ammo.  When Remington took over Marlin and company they also bought some proprietary chamberings.  Those will most likely continue as long as sales are there.  As for new offerings, I would say we'll most likely have to wait for this next election cycle to see much change.  The .45-70, 30/30, and pistol chamberings are most likely to stay.

Just my guess
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 06:56:09 AM »
So.....I cant expect a 32-40 Target Model this year (again  :-[ ).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:22 AM »
So.....I cant expect a 32-40 Target Model this year (again  :-[ ).

I wonder... is NEF/H&R being operated as a stand alone company, or as part of Remington?  Remington used to do some (minor) custom work including some (a very few ) custom chamberings (non- wildcat, and using standard bolt face of existing rifle)  If they still offer this service, and if a .32 cal bored barrel were available...

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 02:48:17 PM »
I see no reason for any secrecy, there is no value in concealing the statistics. I would like to be able to look at caliber choices and popularity by sales regions, states, game hunted etc. I wish Missouri would go with a "primitive weapon " season for deer instead of muzzle loaders. Indiana has, and I think lengthened the case to 1.8" (help me here I guys) There is no reason to believe that a single shot rifle chambered for a 500 S&W is that much superior in performance to one of todays top of the line 50 caliber inline muzzleloaders as to be a game changer in seasonal harvest numbers. If that were to happen, dont you think they would sell a few more handi's here? Maybe a local marketer would pony up for a special run. I dont know how much the Remington budget puts into handi marketing research, but I would guess it is not overwhelming. The point being, if we had the numbers to crunch we might be able to make more effective and coherent arguments in lobbying for our favorite causes, or maybe realize they are lost. Besides, as I sit here by the fire, with the dog on my feet , some hazelnut coffee and an Oreo, what else would I need?? 8) ::)
remember the starfish