Author Topic: David Pedersoli Howdah Pistol  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Snowwolfe

• Trade Count: (0)
David Pedersoli Howdah Pistol
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »

Offline simonkenton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: David Pedersoli Howdah Pistol
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:52:42 AM »
That is one cool-looking pistol. I would love to have one. You could load that thing with 6  of the 00 buckshot balls, that would be the cat's meow for household defense.

Here is a discussion of this pistol:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398033
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:55:30 AM »
If it were me, I'd go with the smoothbore. No need for rifling at the range this is supposed to be used. That said, I handled one at Dixie Gun Works last time I was through there. The reach to the front trigger is unmanagable for me. I do have fairly short fingers and others may fit it better, but that's something to consider if you are thinking of buying one. Otherwise, they sure are cool!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:19:26 AM »
I know this is old topic but please enlighten me as to how this is legal. I must be having a brain fart! Is it because it is muzzle loaded? Thanks Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:08:33 PM »
I know this is old topic but please enlighten me as to how this is legal. I must be having a brain fart! Is it because it is muzzle loaded? Thanks Kurt

Yep, the feds don't consider this a firearm, even though a few states do.  Depends on where you live. 

I guess the powers that be don't think a muzzie could be dangerous.  Not withstanding the thousands killed in the War between the States.  Personally, I'd rather face a 9mm any day rather than this cannon! :o

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
They are neat looking guns but Pedersoli only recommends very light powder charges and with those the buckshot is pretty feeble. A 20 gauge is really too small in bore size for effective use of buckshot as large as 00, that's why modern shotshells in 20 gauge are loaded with buck no larger than #2 or #3 buck. Larger pellets won't stack evenly in the 20 gauge bore and when fired they jam against each other, deform badly and lead the bore.
 I built a singleshot 20 gauge pistol with an 8" barrel and fired a few loads of #4 buck over 40 grains of 3f Goex and regular 20 gauge wads. At 30 feet the pattern would have put lots of pellets on a human torso but they only penetrated through the bark of a pine log and barely dented the soft wood below. I think 40 grains is a heavier load then Pedersoli recommends for their Howdah pistol. No doubt the barrels will stand more but I think they are concerned about recoil splitting the stock.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Dogmann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
I want!! ;)