Author Topic: levervolution brass  (Read 543 times)

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
levervolution brass
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
any one have some of this brass in 45-70  i would like to know how long it is. any help is welcome. thinks bill

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: levervolution brass
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
Been a few posts on this.  I don't have a piece available now, but I know it was almost 1/8" shorter than my Starline .45-70.  I save it for long wide leads that don't fit well, but you cannot use an FCD die on it.  I load the long leads with my Lee Classic Loader which does a taper crimp.  If you search back a bit, you might find the one I measured the brass and posted on.  Sorry, cannot remember.  8(
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 06:23:56 PM »
Hornady Leverevolution once fired and unsized 2.034
WW once fired and unsized 2.095
Starline new and unsized 2.096

These are averages of 5 or so cases.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 02:05:02 AM »
 I bought a bunch at a gun show, completely unaware of the length difference. In order to reload these things I had to buy a Lee Factory Crimp die and shorten it about 1/8". I'm still not completely convinced the crimp is right, but they shoot OK out of my Handi so I'm not worried abut it.
 According to Hornady, their seat/crimp die will work on the short brass but I know for a fact the RCBS die won't. However, the RCBS sizing and flaring dies work well. One could also shorten the RCBS seat/crimp die, the reason I didn't is because the dies I'm using don't belong to me.
Are you looking to reload some?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
levervolution brass
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 02:31:45 AM »
The one box of that stuff I bought (the only factory loaded 45-70 I ever bought) the base diameter was also smaller than SAAMI spec. Can't remember exactly how much, but enough it had a visible bulge at the bottom of the case after firing.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:38:35 AM »
i shot a single shot rifle. no need to worry about crimp.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 04:05:56 AM »
The one box of that stuff I bought (the only factory loaded 45-70 I ever bought) the base diameter was also smaller than SAAMI spec. Can't remember exactly how much, but enough it had a visible bulge at the bottom of the case after firing.

No One seems to bothered by Hornady doing this. ( sans myself). I personally will not buy ANY of this line of ammo. It's a shame too as I very much like Hornady bullets and have for over 30 years.
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
levervolution brass
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 04:09:16 AM »
I'm bothered by it. I don't buy it. A lot of The people buying it are non-reloaders. If you don't reload it is probably good stuff. Better BC and velocity than most of what's available in LGS. But for the reloaders it is a pain.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »

Just a bit off the topic of the 45/70
LEVERevolution® but a recent purchase of Hornady .45 Colt Cowboy Action Load 255 gr. factory loaded ammo has noticeably shorter brass as well. After firing they measure ~1.222" and the trim to length in the Hornady Handbook is 1.275" for the .45 Colt.
Got the factory ammo just to see how my Handi rifle would shoot lead bullets and figured if it didn't do well I could still reuse the brass but doubt I'll be reloading with it now.
BTW my CR 45 LC prefers jacketed bullets.

Bill

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:04:01 AM »

Just a bit off the topic of the 45/70
LEVERevolution® but a recent purchase of Hornady .45 Colt Cowboy Action Load 255 gr. factory loaded ammo has noticeably shorter brass as well. After firing they measure ~1.222" and the trim to length in the Hornady Handbook is 1.275" for the .45 Colt.
Got the factory ammo just to see how my Handi rifle would shoot lead bullets and figured if it didn't do well I could still reuse the brass but doubt I'll be reloading with it now.
BTW my CR 45 LC prefers jacketed bullets.

Bill

What I did with the Hornady 45 Colt brass that was short , I trimmed them down to .895 and use 45 Auto Rim data and shoot them like 38 spl in 357's . Works great for plunking .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped