Author Topic: stupid scope question  (Read 548 times)

Offline Tsupi_Az

• Trade Count: (0)
stupid scope question
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
First off I am only asking this upcoming question for a few simple reasons #1 I am unemployed and jobs are scarce #2 i came across a SB2 .223 ultra for a low price of $120.00 lightly used w/o scope and rings #3 I already have the scope/rings new in box.

So now the question,
I just want to get to the range with this rifle and put a box through it.
I just want to know if i could put my sweet 22(paid $30.00) on it just to see how this rifle fires, ejection etc..(yes the scope is cheap/crap and I know this already.) I just want to know if it is going to screw up the cross hairs. Because I am going to put it on my Remington .22 rifle at a later date.
So more or less just wondering if it is too much recoil or is it the same scope as the sweet .223 with just different caps.
I am not a scope person I'm more of a C&R collector then any other type of firearm enthusiast. Remember I just want to put it on there for the one trip. Not worried about sighting it in. Just don't feel like shooting it without any sights/scope on it and getting that funny look and giggles from the range master. He likes to Razz me when I show up with my 8x56R stutzens and other large caliber rifles. I'm a small guy and the rifle gives me hell.   
Any thoughts on this is and will be much appreciated.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: stupid scope question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
for a short shooting session, that is short range as well as short duration the el cheapo scope will work.  The two main problems are the scope is not designed to handle recoil, and it is set up for shooting out to around 50 yards (paralax)   So accuracy testing is not recommended, neither is attempting any long range shot.  Be aware that the scope may not survive more than a couple of shots.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Tsupi_Az

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:52:14 PM »
Thanks Keith44, Thats all I needed to know, either I will borrow a scope from a friend or take the looks/giggles from the range master and keep that scope boxed and in the closet until squrriel season.
But again thank you, any thing I should be on the look out for when I take it to the range. It was my friends he shot about 200-300 rounds through it and according to the S/N (starts with HN) should have been manufatured in 1999. On a visual inspection it looks like a great solid firearm. I priced the new ones the other day and they were running around 300 dollars and up at my local gun store.   

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
You're welcome, and welcome to the board.

Nah anything that was going to go wrong most likely would have by now.  These guns are budget priced, but sturdy and accurate.  I will warn you that they are highly addictive.  I have and have had more guns than I'll admit to, these Handi rifles are the ones I keep coming back to.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
The scope will survive just fine, a .223 Handi has zip for recoil.  It may work out just fine and you will keep it on the rifle.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
it should be fine till you can afford better, if it works it aint stupid.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »
The scope will survive just fine, a .223 Handi has zip for recoil.  It may work out just fine and you will keep it on the rifle.  Larry

who knows,... it might bea match from heaven !!  as larry said "The scope will survive just fine"
go shoot some !!!! and good luck ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 01:09:59 AM »

who knows,... it might bea match from heaven !!  as larry said "The scope will survive just fine"
go shoot some !!!! and good luck ;)

Agreed!!  Mount the scope and go enjoy your new toy!

WELCOME and Merry Christmas,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »
tsupi,

As other say I would try it.  I took a Handi 30-06 to the range with a Horton 4x crossbow scope because it was all I had at the time.  The Xbow scope survived the range session and is still usable for it's designed purpose.  I did take thsi "combo" to the range when I knew no one would be there. :-[

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 03:03:18 AM »
Put it on and shoot it.  The recoil on a 223 is so light that if a scope fails on it, it probably shouldn't be on a rimfire.  Dropping the stock to the ground or bumping a wall by accident produces more shock.

Welcome aboard, by the way.  Hope you find a good job soon so you can load up on Handi's! :)

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Tsupi_Az

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 05:50:08 AM »
Thank you all for your responses, I have been reading this forum for about a month before I finalized my purchase of my H&R. Everyone has provided great info through out the boards here. Which in turn has prepared me for any problems that might arise during a shooting session at the range. Eventually this will be my yote rifle when I can afford some good optics on it. But after all the responses I think I might just pull that cheapo scope out of the closet and give it a try and if it fails I guess there's no loss since it was only 30 bucks NIB. Thank you all again for your responses and a good website for all types of info for the H&R HANDI rifle, it's my new love in the gun cabinet.