Author Topic: Loads for a muzzleloader  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Rat Rod Mac

• Trade Count: (0)
Loads for a muzzleloader
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
    I just picked up a T/C Black Diamond muzzleloader last weekend and our season is coming up in a couple of weeks, so I don't have a long time to work up a load. Anyone have a favorite they wouldn't mind sharing, I'm all ears. I have read that loose Blackhorn is the way to go on the powder choice. But lay it on me if you have a good load for a 50 caliber muzzleloader. Thanks in advance.      RRM

Offline flintlock

Re: Loads for a muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »
I shoot 80grs of FFF Goex and a .429 Hornady 300gr XTP inside a standard Harvester green sabot...

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
Try using 2 pellets (100gr) of Triple 7, and 240Gr XTP bullet using Mag Express Sabots, or 240Gr T/C Cheap shots with the black sabots (comes as a package).  You can get respectable accuracy out to 100 yards (1 - 1 1/2" groups).  That's what I use in my TC Omega. 

If you have more time try Blackhorn 209, and the same bullets, start with about 80 - 85Grs and work up.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Rat Rod Mac

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:47:21 AM »
Thanks fellas. Thank you very much. That gives me a place to start.     RRM

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 02:47:15 AM »
Mac,

We all have our pet theories and loads so here goes:  it would be fair to say the all accuracy is is simple consistency and how consistently you use exactly the same technique each time you load the rifle will have more to do with consistent accuracy than any other variable.  Consistent powder charges, bullet seating pressure etc all make a measurable difference downrange.

Another thing is that sabots have to be soft enough to load from the muzzle so they are a lot softer than shotgun sabots and generally do not like hot, or even warm, barrels.  If you can feel heat on the barrel you'll want to let the fully barrel cool between shots while working up loads.  I know it can be tedious but when you hunt it will be with a cold barrel so you should zero that way too.

TC rifles have the tightest bore in the industry.  For the $6 or so a bag they cost I'd get a pack of the black Crushed Rib sabots from Harvester Muzzleloading.  They are the most forgiving sabot I know of in terms of shooting well with various bullet and bore diameters.

I use a Savage smokeless powder rifle and can load .458 Barnes Originals with the black crush rob sabot.  If it can handle the .006-.007" difference between that and the .451 and .452 bullets it will work fine for you without having to worry about a tight sabot and heavy ramrod pressures.

Another great sabot for tight bores is the Magnum Muzzleloading Products HPH-24.  It is a couple thousandths of an inch smaller than normal specifically for tight bores such as the TC. 

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

http://www.harvesterbullets.com/

Blackhorn 209 will cost you a lot less per shot than any of the pellets and does not have either the fouling issues or corrosion issues that many other powders have.  It also is a lot less susceptible to picking up airborne moisture most other powders.  I've used it in the Savage occasionally and in standard muzzleloaders full time (for my sons) for 3-4 seasons now.  If you use it be sure to use a full power primer and not one of the "muzzleloading" primers.

Personally, while I've never lost a deer with a 240 or 250 grain XTP I've had very few exit wounds either and I want one so I use 275-300 grain bullets with which I've never not had an exit wound.

The three bullets I use most commonly are the 300 grain non-magnum Hornady XTP, the 275 grain Barnes XPB or the 300 grain Barnes .458 semi-spitzer Original.

The two Barnes bullets shoot 1 MOA or better to around 200 yards and the XTP shoots about 1 to 1-1/4 MOA out to around 150-160 yards, all out of the Savage.  My experience has been that the non-magnum XTPs, either the 250 grain or the 300 grain bullet shoot somewhat more accurately than the 240 and 300 grain magnum variety.  I doubt it matters to the deer or black bear though...

The 300 grain XTPs are around $30/100 and the sabots are generally less than $0.15 each so you can save a lot of money buying them separately and get the bullet/sabot combination that shoots best and loads easiest.   The XTP in any weight is a heck of a value.

I currently have 250 grain non-magnum XTPs and 300 grain magnum XTPs on the shelf along with the black crush rib sabots and several kinds of MMP sabots including the HPH-24.

I know time is short but if you'll PM me an address I'll send you some of each to try out.  I know it can get expensive to try all the different combinations and these are available if you want them.

Good luck and let me know if you want the supplies.

Lance

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 02:07:43 PM »
Mac, I'm sorry but I didn't see you're private message.  I've never gotten one on GBO and wasn't looking in the right place for it.

Look for the reply to your message.

Lance

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 05:07:37 PM »
250 or 300 grn T/C Shockwave easy-glide sabot over 2/ 50 grn Triple 7 pellets or Hornady 250-300 grn SST low drag sabots over the same 2 pellets
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:35:11 AM »
Mac, two thoughts I left out of my PM.

The first is lock time.  We all have some wobble when we shoot and the faster the bullet exits the muzzle the less time there is to wander off your intended aiming point.  The combination of the Accutrigger and the Savage striker system results in one of the fastest lock times on the market.  When compared to a gun with an external hammer, or some with internal hammers, the bullet out of a Savage center fire rifle, muzzleloader or slug rifle is through a 100 yards target before it exits the barrel of the others.

The second nice thing about the Savage is recoil reduction.  All of the ejecta that comes out of the muzzle contributes to recoil; gasses, unburned powder, bullet and sabot.  Since you  are using less powder, typically 40-100 grains less, the recoil of the Savage is much softer than any conventional muzzleloader offering anything like the same performance.  With powders like Pyrodex and Triple 7 only about 50% of the powder actually combusts.  The rest is crud, ejecta and smoke so the actual mass ejected from the barrel is higher yet.  It is not uncommon for the recoil of the Savage to be half or less of a conventional muzzleloader with identical bullets launched at identical velocities.

Hope this helps.

Lance