Author Topic: Handi Recoil Reduction  (Read 2847 times)

Offline JMcDonald

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Handi Recoil Reduction
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »
I use a limbsaver recoil pad. It isn't magical, but it makes a HUGE difference. The first time I shot my .308, I had to put a wadded-up blanket over my shoulder after 5 shots to avoid flinching. With the limbsaver, I had put 80-100 rounds per session with no discomfort. I had one on my old 12g and it also helped tremendously, though it was still a 12g :P .

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
  Hello JMcDonald:
  I have a 220A savage 12ga. that  is almost unbearable to shoot Mag. slugs in. Sounds like the limbsaver is what I need too. The SG is cut to 18 1/4 inches and has a savage compensator on it, when fired it has more of a crack than a boom.
  I put rifle sights on it and have a insert for 45ACP cartridges. I used a old 1917 S&W take-off bbl. and threaded it into the insert stub which gives me a little bbl. length to give it additional vel. It's fun too shoot but the 12ga.mags are bad. didn't mean to ramble .
  Think I'll try the limbsaver on it,
  thanks
  safety first
  HM

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 08:00:58 PM »
 Don't waste your money on the I-Bolt recoil reducers off E-Bay, I paid over 20 bucks for a piece of 1" steel shaft with Smith and Wessons name tatooed on it ... NOT a Mercury recoil reducer

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »
Yup, the LIMBSAVERS have been recomended her for a couple years now. They really do make a huge difference!!
One problem I have had with my older limbsavers is the rubber breaks down and gets sticky. It dosent hurt preformaces, but it sticks to the gun case and to the mat I have in the safe and on the gun shelfs. Its unsightly, like its melting...

Grind to fit is within the realm of a handi ;) shade tree gunsmith. I bought a jig off Brownells ($40) and a 12" disc grinder ($100) and do them myself! Very easy with these tools and as a side job you could do them on the side for gunshops if you where to sak if they have people asking for the service. Its will not take make to recoup the $$ outlayed and then do your own for free!!

BTW, there are others too, KICK-EEZ and Pachmayer Decellorators are good ones too.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »

Thanks Gents:
  I have a couple of belt/disc sanders, one is a floor model craftsman, and a tabletop craftsman which gets a lot more use than the old larger model, I do need to make jig as you mentioned. I have the prints for the jig in a rebarreling book that I bought some time ago but have not made one as of yet. I've been pretty lucky just free-handing and then cleaning-up with a file and sand paper as I have only done a dozen or so.
  Thanks for the response
  safety first
  HM

Offline 1NEFsofar

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 06:07:34 AM »
Due to repeated shoulder surgery I had to do something about recoil in my guns (308 and 12 g slug).  I decided to put lead in the stock.  I filled a sock with lead shot and shoved it into the stock (synthetic stocks).  Huge differance!  I can shoot my 308 all day and my 12g slug gives me a slower shove as opposed to a real kick.  Yes the guns are heavier overall (Duh!) but since I hunt in blinds and treestand and don't carry them long distances it works for me.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.  

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!