Author Topic: Jus' like magic!  (Read 858 times)

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
Jus' like magic!
« on: December 10, 2011, 04:06:17 AM »
I bought a 30-06 barrel from jammer308 and it fit my little Hornet frame good, locked up with a "clunk" ,and, a .005" gap between the receiver and the barrel.  I took a strip of Pepsi can and put it in the hinge and Voila!, locks up tighter than Ft. Knox....which is close by, hmmm, that reminds me, I need to go down there and make a withdrawal...I'll let you know how that works out for me ;)
Anyway, thanks to the FAQ's, I'm on the road to Handi Bliss...
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Jus' like magic!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
locks up tighter than Ft. Knox....which is close by, hmmm, that reminds me, I need to go down there and make a withdrawal...I'll let you know how that works out for me ;)

Joe,

A bunch of sticky fingered fellows from Washington D.C. cleaned that vault out a long time ago. :o

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »
As has been said, it's so easy even a caveman can do it!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »
The aluminum coke can will get pounded down, ( i won't tell you how I know,)
but at least you know where the weakest link is.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:51:22 AM »
The aluminum coke can will get pounded down, ( i won't tell you how I know,)
but at least you know where the weakest link is.

Yup, aluminum works fine for a temporary shim or on low pressure chamberings, but won't last long on a high pressure chambering, but they're cheap and easy to replace and a good starting place to find out how much shim is needed so a steel shim(feeler gauge blade) can be used!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
i found that pieces of tape measure work great
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »
That tape measure is a good idea if it'll work, but lot's of times one size won't fit all, and that is why in my opinion you can't beat those steel feeler gauges from the auto parts store.

They are in various thicknesses and about the right width, and when you find the size that fits you can get at least two shims from one gauge strip.

What I do is using a small diameter screw driver I place the strip between my thumb and the screw driver and draw it with a pulling motion across the screwdriver applying pressure with my thumb which causes the strip to take on a curl that with more pressure applied after several pulls will form a tight curl.

Then take the curled strip and place it over the hinge pin on the receiver where it wraps tightly around it, and mark it where the two ends overlap together, and cut it there so they don't overlap, and you can use your wifes scissors for this but don't tell her what you did, and it also doesn't have to be exact.

Then where the shim now comes together, using some needle nose pliers grabbing maybe a 1/16th" or less, turn the very ends of the curled shim back 90* upward, and this will work as sort of a stop once the barrel is seated on the shim and pin that will keep the shim from turning on the pin as you open and close the action.  Trust me, it works!  ;)

Be warned though, my method won't work with a really thick shim unless you have very powerful fingers trying to curl that thick butter knife thick shim.  ;D
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 02:36:35 AM »
Thanks guys! 
I'll probably just replace the aluminum shims for the short term.  I probably won't be shooting too many full power loads in it.  I have some match loads that I have stashed back from my Garand that I'll burn up and then probably mostly cast and/or subsonic  after that.  I mic'd the aluminum can and I think an .004 or .005 feeler gauge shim should work just fine if I get "industrious"....(bored) over the Christmas/New Year's break.
Thanks again!!
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline zookiezoom

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 02:51:41 AM »
Go to your local heat and air repair shop and ask for a foot of their aluminum sticky tape. Sticks to the pivot point and you don't have to worry about cutting off a finger every time you need a piece.
Life is a food chain; if your not on top, your on the menu.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 03:18:51 AM »
Just to reiterate, anything other than steel shim stock are for temporary use.

I got a supply of pieces from a good friend in a machine shop. feeler gauge stock is another good source. 

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 06:22:28 AM »
Then take the curled strip and place it over the hinge pin on the receiver

Yup, I figured out that method too. After having a glued in shim come loose at inopportune times more than once, I now just wrap the hinge pin with shim stock of the proper size.
 Glue/adhesives may work for many without a hitch, but wrapping the hinge pin works too and there's nothing too fail.
 I'm working with shims in the .001-.004 range for the barrels and frames I have, nothing thicker,,yet.
found elsewhere