Author Topic: 22 Hornet  (Read 504 times)

Offline dannyfro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
22 Hornet
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
I was wondering what you all thought of the 22 Hornet? I was also curious as to whether or not it was quieter than other 22 centerfires and also how long does the brass last in reloading as it seems to have a thin neck? Thanks for your help.

Dan

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 22 Hornet
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:44:27 PM »
Morning,
 We do love our hornets and generally they are good shooters. My own is a good shooter out of the box.

Its a lo pressure round so brass has a long life. I have hornet brass form my grand father easily 50 years old and still going.

YES it is delicate so, SLOW careful loading is required for the thin fragile necks.

Yes it is quieter than the bigger CF's but again, its a lo pressure round.

If you can locate one, its a nice and required addition to anyone calling themselves a handihaulic. ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bowtech302

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:59:44 AM »
I love mine. I would agree that it is quieter than other higher power .22 centerfires, not much more than a .22 magnum rimfire. I don't reload so I can't speak to that but I know mine likes the Winchester 46 grain HP loading and REALLY likes the Prvi Partisan 45 grain soft points (plus they're pretty cheap). I took a nice gobbler here in WV's fall season this year with mine, ideal fall turkey gun IMO. I've taken a few groundhogs and gray foxes as well. Fun caliber. Only complaint is that I wish mine was a wood stock instead of synthetic.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 03:13:33 AM »
I just posted a few days ago my selection of the Essential Battery of Rifle Calibres.

My post was a paper that I wrote years ago, and periodically I update it. The .22 Hornet is one of my selections and included is my reasoning as to why...let pull up my paper and I'll copy-paste my written thoughts to your thread.  8)

My current .22 Hornet is a Ruger M77/.22 Hornet. Laid next to my M77/.22 Long Rifle....you can't hardly tell the two apart. As a reloader I've found the Hornet to be just awesome accurate. (Take care while reloading as case damage is very easy) Its a fun gun to shoot and very effective on varmints up to the size of coyotes. The round was never intended as a speedster and yet I've met many reloaders that try to get every last "ft/sec" out of the cartridge. But if you stay within its intended purpose as a short to lower-mid-range small game varmint round (120 yards - 150 yards), then you will be happily impressed. 
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:39:20 AM »
Here's my section on the .22 Hornet:

.22 Hornet – This is a calibre that I discovered late in my shooting career. I enjoy hunting prairie dogs and have spent many days in my youth slinking down small ditches and crawling through open ground trying to close the distance so that I could get a better shot at a prairie dog with my little bolt action .22 lr. The .22 Hornet was initially a compromise calibre for me. At the time that I purchased my .22 Hornet, I was deeply considering the addition of  a .22 Magnum to my growing collection of firearms. But in reading through several reloading books, I came across the data for the Hornet where I soon found that the ballistics of the Hornet more than matched the published ballistics for the .22 Magnum. For me the deal was made because the Hornet possessed the added advantage that I could reload it; meaning that I could tailor my reloads to the specifics of the firearm that I owned.

I bought my first .22 Hornet as a gift to myself after I graduated from college with a degree in Biochemistry. Once I hit the range with my .22 Hornet, I was impressed by the fantastic and almost innate accuracy that could be had with the .22 Hornet. In developing a load for my current rifle in this calibre, a Ruger 77/.22 Hornet, I found several loads that grouped nicely into ¾ to ½ groups at 100 yards. But more reloading/range work on my part allowed me to find that the Hornet could be dialed to even higher accuracy standards.  With loads for 32 grain bullets up through 45 grain bullets I developed loads that shoot ¼ inch groups all day out to 100 yards and with 55 grain bullets my groups open up to only ½ inch at 150 yards. 

If you’re a person that enjoys casting your own bullets, the .22 Hornet is very accurate under these conditions as well. With a caste lead bullet of 55 grains, the Hornet becomes a very hot .22 Long Rifle. But I’ve found that the 44 grain pills are more accurate.

The quiet report of the .22 Hornet coupled with its fantastic accuracy at moderate ranges make this cartridge my “goto gun” while varmint hunting on many of the small-acreage farms and woodlots that dot the landscape where I live and hunt much of the time.  The .22 Hornet now has a firm place in my Essential Battery of Rifle Calibres.

“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
Also note that the NEF/H&R single shots of years passed came in different barrel twists so if you ever wanted to shoot heavier bullets, a modern 1in9" barrel would be needed. Mine is a Topper 1in12" and I hear of a 1in16" with the old Topper barrels. Yesterday I shot at 50 yds a 3 shot .310 group with the new to me 35gr V max with 13gr Lil' Gun in Rem brass with Federal small rifle primers. The Hornet is loud to me but as said above, not as loud as other .224 centerfires, though quite abit more than my .22mag. Brass life for me with annealing the necks have been 8-9 reloads and then only 1 in 10 had a loose primer seat so I pitched them all, probably could have got another load or 2 to them? I find them a bargin to reload for as you can purchase bullets as low as $13/100, powder capacity is 13-14gr in Rem brass so a pound of powder (7000gr) goes along way. Brass life is good and at the moment Pivi brass is $21/100 and a new barrel or used one is not much more than a hundred dollar bill and a half! Recoil is without any notice and it is said to be a killer of predators up to 250 yds.   .DT

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
Thanks for the insight. Have been pondering one for awhile.

Dan