Author Topic: Lee turret Press  (Read 720 times)

Offline Wolf13

• Trade Count: (9)
Lee turret Press
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »
I just got a turret press as I was looking at it and removed the turret for the first time I heard something hit the floor then something landed on the table well I started looking and found a little silver ball on the floor and a spring on the table. I found the hole in the frame that they went in put them in the hole spring first then tried to put the turret back on. Guess what I heard again :-\  Well this time I did not find the little silver ball.  :'(  Can you find replacements local and how do you get them to stay in. The press is used but looks new. Thanks for any help.

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lee turret Press
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:28:46 PM »
That ball is supposed to stay put.  Usually those indexing balls are inserted from the other side and the hole is just a bit too small for the ball to come out.  But on my turret - I can't quite see how Lee put that in there.  Almost looks like it was cast in place which would be almost impossible. 

Another way to hold those indexing bearings in place is with a little "C-shaped" spring.  You push in the bearing and then insert the C-spring which immediately expands to stay put.  If you can't find a hardware store that carries such a spring Google LeePrecision and contact them.  If worse comes to worse you can buy a new top to the press for $17.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/TURRET-RING.html

Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 03:26:18 AM »
Was this a three hole or a four hole?

Offline Wolf13

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »
It was a 4 hole press. I did send an e-mail to Lee and have not got a reply yet. About 9 last night I found the little ball with a flashlight and laying on the floor. :o  I had been looking off an on all night. I sent an e-mail to Lee but did not get an reply today. I was looking on their sight and guess I will have to order the part that the turret fits in as the detent ball will not stay in the one I have. Unless some of you have a better idea.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
If you look closely at the surface at edge of the detent hole, you may see it was peened offsetting metal to retain the ball, or should be, mine has a slight recess almost all the way around where it was originally staked, you could reinstall the spring and ball and use a center punch to stake it at several places to hold the ball in place .

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain