Author Topic: 357 Maxi in a Handi with LEAD...  (Read 469 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
357 Maxi in a Handi with LEAD...
« on: December 25, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »
Evening guys,
 Hope everyone is well and had a good Christmas. Today was a peaceful day round here and I was able to get down into my loading room in the afternoon. I had to re stock some maxi loads as I had a friends kid use one of mine for Deer Hunting this season and I let him shoot up about 100 rounds of ammo to get used to the rifle. He did good and collected his first buck. He used the 180 XTP bullet, not these Lead slugs. (Better than any I have shot I might add).  :o

Anyway, I loaded my shells back up and got them in the "inventory". While straightening up the bench I came across a box of .359 dia Lead GC slugs that weigh in about 208Grs. They are fairly hard, I am going to guess #2. (I cannot find my hardness tester.)

I sized, and prepped 20 Maxi cases. I decided on a mid level loading of IMR4227 powder. Seated the bullet to the crimp groove and went back and crimped them in place. Velocity should be about 1600fps. This is the first for maxi Lead slugs in my guns. I have shot a bit of the 160G 357 Mags and a couple thousand 148WC slugs from 38 Specials in the Shorty. But never any in a maxi casing.
I got to thinking about it form a PM with Twoshooter about some 280G RN GC bullets for the Whelen. I have a few and looked at them for subsonic maxi loadings. Gotts ta research powders for such a heavy for caliber slug...

Anyhow, do any of you recognize the slug? I might want to purchase the mold but am not sure who makes it... I need to check Lyman.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: 357 Maxi in a Handi with LEAD...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 05:35:05 PM »
CW,
  Those slugs look just like some I got last year from someone here. All I remember is that they are 200+gr and cast from a Lyman mold. I have shot some heavy 240gr lead slugs from my Maxi with TB powder. Although they are slow, the accuracy was scary. :o  I can keep them all into nearly the same hole at 50yds. I can look into more specific load data for you offline, if you like.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »
Morning guys,
 Thanks! I remember that Post Dinny! (As well as our PM conversations.) Thats part of what got me thinking. That and talking with Two Shooter about the 280Gr RN bullets.

Here is that 280G bullet. Its a good looker as well.

Here it is compaired to the 208G

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 03:24:43 AM »
CW,
I know your not a Lee fan; however, I have a little experience with the Ranch Dog molds which are Lee 6 cavity.  The 190 gr. mold throws about a 187-188 for me with WW's.  Just thought you might want to consider it if your looking for a good mold for the maxi.  I see on his website he now has a 170gr mold for the 357 mag.  You can make a lot of bullets fast.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
Not sure but this may be it.

Mold
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319002/rcbs-2-cavity-bullet-mold-35-200-fn-35-caliber-358-diameter-200-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

Bullets
http://www.gardnerscache.com/38_200_lfp_g_c.html

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/358_Rifle.html

Thanks for the links!! I think your correct, that RCBS mold looks like my bullet!!

I have some of these for the 357Mag, but would love to find this profile form a heaver bullet...like 250+!!!

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »
CW,

Best selection I've seen recently is at Beartoothbullets.com  Check out the rifle section as well as the pistol bullets IIRC.......
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »
Its an RCBS 200FN mold. I have one with 1 cavity HP'ed by Erik Olean and used it (air dropped old WW) in my 9x57 on a doe this year at approx. 1800 FPS. About 20 yds downhill. Facing left DRT broke spine and out the bottom center of the right shoulder. I would think 1600 FPS would do-it-2-it. Happy New Year-Muddy