Author Topic: 54 Caliber Bullet Question  (Read 455 times)

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
54 Caliber Bullet Question
« on: December 26, 2011, 07:22:29 AM »
About  two weeks ago, I got my 54 caliber CVA and, shooting round ball, found it to be fairly accurate out to 50 yards.   I tested the twist and it seems to be 1:60.

If I were to get some 54 cal bullets (not round ball), what sort of accuracy could I reasonably expect?   I was about to order some bullets and test it for myself, but thought that there has to be someone on this forum that has actually DONE it.  Rather than spend my money for something that simply does not work, why not ask the experts and save myself some money and head ache?

So, has anyone done this and what were your results / observations?   Is it worthwhile trying?

Thanks
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 54 Caliber Bullet Question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 07:49:14 AM »
I've shot 300 grain Lee REALs out of my 1:60 twist .54 Great Plains and got three to four inch 5-shot groups at 50 yards.  I suspect it may do better than that with a little load development, but I tried only one or two powder charges.  I shot one 50 yard target with 250 grain XTPs in Harvester 54/45 sabots and got a 2 & 1/4" five shot group at 50 yards.  But I have several 50 caliber guns for shooting bullets and pretty much stick to balls in the .54.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net