Author Topic: Corrosive primers with modern ammo in 5.56 X 45?  (Read 509 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Corrosive primers with modern ammo in 5.56 X 45?
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:12:40 AM »
For years it was understood that all imported military ammunition for rifles were using corrosive primers, the sporting stuff had "non-corrosive" labeled on them.  And the domestic was non-corrosive, except for the old US military ammunition from around or before WW 2.

I use alot of the Serbian Prvi ammo mostly in .223 chambering, bought some in plain white box from the same maker in 5.56 X 45 for my AR-15, shoots good.  However, as this seems to be intended for military application and there is nothing about it being corrosive I am wondering if the maker has non-corrosive primers for the sporting market, and corrosive for the military market?  The 2 times I went out and shot up the stuff I had in 5.56 I cleaned my rifle immediately, but I usually do a strip down only once every 3 trips to the range, but always clean the barrel and bolt face every time it is shot.

Is there a difference in use of primers for the sporting market and the military customer for the foreign ammo in 5.56 X 45?

Thanks.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Corrosive primers with modern ammo in 5.56 X 45?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:21:37 AM »
I have heard that some of the Easter European military ammo had corrosive primers.  If I had to use the stuff, I'd take the appropriate precautions JIC. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Corrosive primers with modern ammo in 5.56 X 45?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
The stuff I shoot is labled WOLF performance ammunition.  Its made in russia - steel case, 62 grain JHP. It says Non-Corrosive boxer-primed on the packaging.  This stuff also doesnt seem to have any of that lacquer that other russial made, steel cased stuff has (like Brown Bear).  It shoots sub MOA through all of my AR's, so that's what I use for coyote hunting and target practice.