Author Topic: 38-55 Target classic bbl sight  (Read 333 times)

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
38-55 Target classic bbl sight
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »
My rifle shooting with iron sights is a work in progress.  I have been away from shooting for the past couple of years and just getting back to basics.  Of interest my bow shooting is such that I dont; eed my glasses. 

I currently have one of Smith's 'Wesson & Harrington' rifle sights mounted on my 38-55 Wesson & Harrington Target Classic.  Mine is simply screwed into the provided area that is tapped.  BUT, I am having more and more difficulty seeing thru this, especially with the buckhorn.  For sure this sight would be a ton better if installed further down the barrel.

Today I just put a new bbl sight on my Shikari in the barrel dovetail and its a far better set up.   The longer picture seems to work well for me. 

Scopes are out.

Anyone cut a dovetail into the TC barrel and fit a sight further down the barrel?  Much appreciated.

Offline Weatherman68

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: 38-55 Target classic bbl sight
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
I also have a Shikari and I could not see anything with the standard sight that came with it.  I had a Williams peep sight installed that works fine in good light  8) .  Overcast days or very early in the morning or late in the evening I have problems seeing with my aging eyes  :( .  I just couldn't bring myself to put a scope on my Shikari.   As much as I love shooting the 45-70 I have been sticking with the 30-06 handi or the Marlin 35 Remington for deer.  I loose too much meat with the 45-70.   
Why is there never enough time to do it right but there is always enough time to do it again?

Offline ceadersavage2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
  • Love to have live 200 years ago
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »
How do you loose meat. Ive been shooting these for a few tears go for a neck shot or a front shot between the back of front leg half way up what are u going to waist there

Offline TopperT

• Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
I replaced the williams sight on my Shikari today with a 'ghost' ring sight and its much better.  I agree with not putting a scope on this rifle.  I shoot mine with a 45-55-405 (55 grns of FF) trapdoor carbine load.  What I want to do is have a dovetail cut to accomadate a sight further down the 38-55 barrel.  I was wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
Instead of a dovetail cut, maybe get a sight which mounts with screws and have it drilled & tapped.  I remember on another website reading about muzzleloaders with numerous dovetails where the rear sight had been moved forward to accommodate aging eyes.  Now we can see the same tradition with the Target Classic!   ;D

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline TopperT

• Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:47:57 AM »
Good thought.  I'll see if my 'Smiths Wesson & Harrington sight would work that way.  Thanks.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 04:26:56 AM »
My W&H has a tang mounted Marble's sight on it.  I really shoots great that way.  I can change aperatures on the rear sight, not to mention that I can change cards on the front globe sites for target shooting or hunting applications.  This set-up has really worked out nicely for me.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 07:21:42 AM »
I second the screw on sights, the Williams or maybe even a TC might fit. You can 'recontour' the curve underneath, if needed, with some sandpaper wrapped farther up the barrel taper untill you get really close.
Not that you cant dovetail it, but short jigging it up straight and square in a mill it is a touchy job that cant really be corrected once it goes bad, and a poorly done dovetail will always be 'looking back at you'.

"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974