Author Topic: Proper alloy for fire lapping  (Read 1885 times)

Offline STJ

• Trade Count: (0)
Proper alloy for fire lapping
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
Veral,
What alloy or bhn do you recommend for fire lapping?  I know it shouldn't spring back in order to get the properer tapered lapping...
Thanks

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Re: Proper alloy for fire lapping
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:11:22 AM »
Veral,
What alloy or bhn do you recommend for fire lapping?  I know it shouldn't spring back in order to get the properer tapered lapping...
Thanks

Look on Brownell's for firelapping compound (paste from a tube) or a fire lapping kit!

Never done the procedure, but what I remember reading is that the slugs are quite soft with almost no alloy in them, and are rolled between two stone or metal suffaces to impregnate the boolits with the abrasive paste before shooting them (so obviously the boolits are reloaded first, before rolling that part of the lead boolits through the lapping compound/paste.

Since the necessary boolits are almost pure lead, if you have an appropriately shaped boolit mold, why not cast your own?  From lead-melt the hardness of .22LR bullets?

My understanding is it only takes a few shots to clean up a bore.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »
You need to wait for Veral to reply. He'll give you the first hand information you need.

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
  Since this question is answered specifically in my lap instructions, I am assuming that you are using some other compound beside the LBT compound which I make.    If that is the case, definately use a very soft alloy, like air cooled wheel weights within one day after casting.  If you are using LBT compound, 14 bhn will cut the fastest without springback after passing through a constriction.  (The above warning is because some of the compound being used and recommended by armchair experts will tear the guns throat out if used with harder alloys.) 

However, since wheel weight metal comes out at 12 bhn after being air cooled and aged for 2 weeks, that's the alloy I recommend.  It's cutting speed isn't far behind 14 bhn.
Veral Smith

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »
  Sorry, but I missed the brilliant mr cougers responce.  Totally ignorant armchair brilliance.  Good advise not to follow, from beginning to end.  It is bad enough to follow advise from people who have lapped a gun or two and believe they did it right, but have not comparison or experiance to go on.
  Both kinds will get you into as deep a trouble.
Veral Smith

Offline Couger

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
verral apparently has a monopoly on the subject, and Brownells is also ignorant.  :o

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »
Hardly a monoply, Couger.  There are many people and companies selling fire lapping products.  My issue is that I developed the process and have the only measuring products to insure absolute control of progress.

But you seem to have missed the point of my response to your post, which has nothing to do with what Brownmells sells, their knowledge or whatever.  It is your ignorance in answering a question asked to me, when you know nothing about what you are saying except what you have read.

Please everyone understand my position.    ---  I have sold lap kits and instructions for some 15 years and give specific instructions for those who purchase my products.   In that time my customers have lapped many thousands of barrels with excellent results, while I've read and heard many horror stories of those who have tried other makers lap supplies and methods.

I am happy to answer questions regarding what I offer and teach, and welcome any input by customers of my products or that of other makers, as long as they make it clear whether they are speaking of other products.  However,I really know nothing of what others sell, and certainly am not even interested in the thousands of notions talked about on other forums.   For this reason, I become somewhat irritated by anyone comparing what I offer to something else, or presenting other notions as if they were mine.   If I get involved trying to answer questions or solving problems caused by other manufacturers products,  or trying to solve problems or explain the difference between what I sell and others products, I'd do well to just throw in the towel with the lap kits I sell and never answer another question regarding the process.

But I won't throw in the towel.    So expect to read me with my freathers ruffled occasonally.  I'll not be accused of selling junk if anyone has troubles with "firelapping" using other products or information dished out by the inexperianced.
Veral Smith

Offline Couger

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:51:53 PM »
Whatever the original intention, it certainly wasn't to step on your toes veral.  Good luck with whatever you're selling which doesn't include [much] tact;)

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
  Your last line, that I don't have much tack.  Harsh and unfeeling are a couple of other good discriptions.  My wife and a great many other people will verify that statement, and I appoligize for being  distastful and  unfeeling.  It is so simple to just delete a post when I consider the answer inaccurate,  and especially if someone posts an answer before I've had a chance to answer.  You see, if everyone understood that this forum is questions to Veral Smith,  not a comment forum, I would keep my cool and be a nice guy on a more regular basis.

I'm going to leave the above posts in place so my appoligy gets read and understood by many.  Trust me when I say, I would kiss your feet if you can forgive me.

Yet with all that, when I'm inundated with problems around here, I'll probably goof up again sometime.   I'll try not though.
Veral Smith

Offline Couger

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »
  Your last line, that I don't have much tack.  Harsh and unfeeling are a couple of other good discriptions.  My wife and a great many other people will verify that statement, and I appoligize for being  distastful and  unfeeling.  It is so simple to just delete a post when I consider the answer inaccurate,  and especially if someone posts an answer before I've had a chance to answer.  You see, if everyone understood that this forum is questions to Veral Smith,  not a comment forum, I would keep my cool and be a nice guy on a more regular basis.

I'm going to leave the above posts in place so my appoligy gets read and understood by many.  Trust me when I say, I would kiss your feet if you can forgive me.

Yet with all that, when I'm inundated with problems around here, I'll probably goof up again sometime.   I'll try not though.

thanks veral, and good luck to you.

Offline Canuck Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »
Did I miss a change in the forum.  I come here to ask Veral Smith as the forum states and respect that he has a business to run.  I can get opinions everywhere.

Offline NIL

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »
Is there another Veral out there....called Couger???

Your response, Veral, was more gracious than mine would have been....

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
Is there another Veral out there....called Couger???

Your response, Veral, was more gracious than mine would have been....

Amen. I could not have been that nice.