Author Topic: Handi as a big game hunting rifle?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
Re: Handi as a big game hunting rifle?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
This is no s**t...!  When I was 15 I was in Africa, western Sudan... hunted leopards.   Always told the first shot was the 'only' shot I'd get.  I wanted it to be the biggest and the baddest.  Being a small lefty the fancy 'magnum' bolt guns were useless.  All I could find was a cut down single shot 12ga martini.  I'm still here, several leopards aren't.  Wish I still had it.  Guess I was a stupid kid, but I aimed VERY carefully.  It did knock me back a bit though...

Oh, and the only time a rifle did fail me was a rather expensive Winchester 'forced' on me because I didn't have a 'real' gun... broken firing pin.  Went out the next morning with my 'un-real' home made .45 flinter.  Made meat.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »
Have another big game rifle question, Looking for info on ths model # SB2- 78C.  looking to purchase a 7mm08 saw this one but no other info or picture. Did a search and found out is a camo stock. Can someone give me more info, H&R website does not have it listed.

Sounds like a special order for maybe Dick's or Gander and the like, there have been lots of special orders done in the many years H&R has been in business by big retailers and distributors that you won't see on the H&R website, that's an example, the recent Talo Trappers are another.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tjf76

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »
Dick's has been selling the camo stocked Handis for a couple years, glad to see someone else selling them, CTD has em for a little less,  shipping is $10.99.

Tim

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/79515-1.html

Offline tjf76

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 05:55:55 PM »
Tim,

thanks for the link, that's a good price. Would I be safe to say the twist on the new 708 barrels are the same as the old at 1/10?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 05:58:36 PM »
Yes, I have two 7mm-08 Handis, the latest is a 20" lite in the Infinity stock.

Tim

Offline Default_Required

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
Plenty of solid info already in this thread , I would like to add though ... The single shot 45-70s of yester-year with large black powder charges in alot of single shots all but erradicated the American Bison .. Is the Lord of the plain large game ? I sure thought so up close and personal with my brother and his bow taking his first. Mine was 1400 lbs. and one shot was all that was really needed , but a final shot was made at point blank to end it ..

I could not agree more with Tally's thoughts on this matter .

DR

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
gee i have shot several elk with my muzzel  loader see no problem with a handi if your worried about a second  shot take your 44 mag pistol. ;D

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:13 PM »
When i was about 18 found out i was left eye dominant, had just bought a 300wm in model 70 the year before, traded it in for ruger # 1, next rifle was nef in 3006 carried till about 5 years ago bought a 308 have since killed 2 two elk with that 308 in the Sangre de Christos, one at 150 yards the other at over 250 cross canyon shot, both animals went about 50 yards and sere down. i have no center fire repeaters, and passed up shots that i thought weren't one shot kills.
planning on black bear and nm oryx the oryx is a once in lifetime hunt most animals are killed at over 200 yards, if i cant get a 35 whelen barrel, ill just use the 06, in a handi.
as far as using handi for big game I think it comes down to confidence in yourself and trustworthiness of your weapon
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 09:19:57 PM »
 Provided they have enough accuracy to allow me to place a bullet of my choice where I want it to go, a Handi-rifle will do as well as any rifle.  Were I hunting something with fangs, claws and known for having a less than pleasant disposition, I might choose something other than a single shot.

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 03:20:33 AM »
OK, just for the heck of it, here is a few pics of my son [and a couple of me] with single shot rifle kills.  I'm leaving out his Africa pics, because the are a sticky in the FAQ section.  Most of these are with the handi, but the Zimbabwe pics are with Ruger No. 1's.  Hope Tim doesn't care on those.

Dan's bear, circa 2006. 30-06 ultra

Dan's boar, Tennessee, 2010.  44 mag handi.

my cow cape buff, Zimbabwe 2011.  1 shot kill.

my son's cow cape buff.  1 shot kill.

my son's huge hippo.  Took 4 shots, but he did it with the single shooter.

my tuskless elephant.  took 2 shots, but she was dead on her feet with 1.

So, just wanted to show you that iregardless of the price of the hunt, you can hunt anythinganywhere with a SS and the right mind set.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline tjf76

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 04:58:52 AM »
Great pics, Thanks for sharing!

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »
I bowhunt exclusively for big game... I Have not fired a rifle at a big game animal in more than thirty years... so when you ask if a Handy rifle is ok... I think, look at the drawbacks of archery hunting compared to say, a .30/06 Handi...
If the rifle is accurate, thats all that matters... don't worry about follow-up shots... make the first one count! Folks talk about a single being too slow on a follow-up shot... try a follow-up shot with a bow! I have only ever shot twice on big game animals with a bow, out of dozens harvested... both were moose that I called back in after a double lung shot, and they were both practically falling as the second arrow hit them... they didn't even know they were hit the first time. I actually prefer singles for hunting, especially for new or young shooters (but really for everyone)... it forces you to slow down, concentrate and choose the correct moment of truth and an appropriate shot... I have no statistical basis for my belief, but I bet that the ratio of one shot kills is higher for single shot weapons than for repeaters... 
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »
my sentiments exactly.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog