Author Topic: Making 35 remington brass  (Read 1106 times)

Offline crow_feather

• Trade Count: (0)
Making 35 remington brass
« on: December 29, 2011, 06:49:32 AM »
So that the rim diameter will be the same as other .308 type cartridges, has anyone ever squeezed down 358 winchester brass to 35 remington brass?

CF
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Making 35 remington brass
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »
 Sounds like a LOT of work for little reward. The base has to be reduced by .o23 and the case shape has to be changed quite a bit. Special forming dies and a BIG press would be needed. Annealing the case to allow the reshaping would most likely ruin it for reloading. The money spent would be better used to BUY new .35Rem brass. MAYBE rechambering the firearm to .358 Winchester would be a better idea!

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »
Sounds like a LOT of work for little reward. The base has to be reduced by .o23 and the case shape has to be changed quite a bit. Special forming dies and a BIG press would be needed. Annealing the case to allow the reshaping would most likely ruin it for reloading. The money spent would be better used to BUY new .35Rem brass. MAYBE rechambering the firearm to .358 Winchester would be a better idea!
Yeah, a real lot of work!  I've never had any trouble getting .35 Rem. brass, but I'm not exactly a big user of it anyway.  What you are proposing seems more appropriate for making obsolete brass out of something more common.  How much brass do you need, anyway?  Maybe you could just put a request for some in the Reloading Classifides.

Offline strut64

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:29:44 AM »
Once upon a time I tried to run a 308Win piece of brass through a 35Rem die.  - it wont work.  It binds up near the base.   However,  the 35  REM brass has a rim diameter close enough to .472 that you can use a regular shell holder when resizing 35 Rem.  It is just undersized a little bit.  But as noted above 35 Rem brass is very common.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:05:22 AM »
Do you need 35 Rem Brass?

I could spare some.. PM me if interested..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.