Author Topic: Finally, took a deer with the CVA Wolf  (Read 996 times)

Offline anweis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Finally, took a deer with the CVA Wolf
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:01:05 AM »
Finally, i killed a very large doe with the CVA Wolf. I used 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, a Nobel Sport primer, a Harvester crush rib sabot and a 250 grain .451 Hornady XTP. The shot was at 80 yards or so. I expected a complete penetration and some sort of "dead right there" effect. The doe ran 15 yards before dropping. The bullet hit a bit low on the front shoulder (humerus) bone, the bullet and shoulder broke to bits and pieces, and the bullet exited in three pieces, each in a different odd place of the body. I did not expect the bullet to fall apart on such a mild load. I still like this bullet, (i get incredible accuracy out of this load), but i will aim more carefully to avoid heavy bones in the future.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Finally, took a deer with the CVA Wolf
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:57:29 AM »
Congratulations..  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
XTP's are pretty notorious for exploding on bones.  Try the 300 gr. XTP Magnums as there's no bone on N.American game that'll stop or splinter it by all reports.  ;)  I load these in my .45 LC Carbine going about 1800fps and it takes deer down very well and should always pass through at those speeds.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Jim_Ole_Timer

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »
Finally, i killed a very large doe with the CVA Wolf. I used 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, a Nobel Sport primer, a Harvester crush rib sabot and a 250 grain .451 Hornady XTP. The shot was at 80 yards or so. I expected a complete penetration and some sort of "dead right there" effect. The doe ran 15 yards before dropping. The bullet hit a bit low on the front shoulder (humerus) bone, the bullet and shoulder broke to bits and pieces, and the bullet exited in three pieces, each in a different odd place of the body. I did not expect the bullet to fall apart on such a mild load. I still like this bullet, (i get incredible accuracy out of this load), but i will aim more carefully to avoid heavy bones in the future.

Are you using the .451 dia or the .452 dia. The 452s are meant for muzzleloaders. The .451s are for cartridge using in 45 cal pistols and rifles, such as 45acp or Colt 45.

The 452 dia will give you much better performance and maybe even better accuracy, that is unless thats what you're already using.   :D
Protect our constitution, all of it. Our kids future depends on it. And please teach them Conservatism.

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
I did take a buck this year with the new cva optima my load 95 gr. BH209 with Hornady XTP .452 bullet 240 Gr.:The shot 80 yards the deer never took a step DOA I was surprise to see it do a 180 flip off it feet:
The bullet broke the shoulder going in and made a excellent exit hole I would it held together never did find the slug

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:16:07 AM »
Those XTP bullets do a lot of damage.  I've had good luck with 'em too.

Congrats on your ML hunt.

Sounds like your CVA Wolf is a keeper!!

TR

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:41:31 AM »
Jim, the box says .452, but i measured the bullets at .4515; Regardless, i have the pet load for the rifle, i know the trajectory to 150 yards, and i have bullets, powder, sabots, and primers for the next 15 or 20 years (about 300 shots).

T.R., i am very happy with the Wolf. I would not replace it with any other muzzleloader. It is short, handy, balances well, and it is very very accurate. Also, it has a crisp, "breaks like glass", 3 lb. trigger.