Author Topic: Scoping a 20 ga smooth bore?  (Read 631 times)

Offline coss

• Trade Count: (0)
Scoping a 20 ga smooth bore?
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »

I have a 1993 Topper 098 20 ga smooth bore.  Because of aging eyes, I'd like to put a scope or red dot on it to improve accuracy with Foster slugs.  I've looked through the FAQ section, and didn't see a comprehensive overview of how this might be done.  I figured forum members would probably know the answers to the following questions, and to any others I don't know enough to ask:

1.  Is the Weaver 82 mount the best choice?

2.  Is JB Weld or silver solder sturdy enough without screws, or should the barrel shank be drilled and tapped?

3.  If it needs to be drilled and tapped, it appears a blind tap technique will be necessary.  Is there a standard drill depth for screws?

4.  Can this be done with a drill press at home, or would a gunsmith be necessary?

5.  What would be a fair price for the gunsmith to charge?

6.  Is anyone aware of a low power scope with enough eye relief to mount in front of the hammer so that high rings and a hammer extension will not be necessary?

7.  If I decided to go with a peep sight instead, what is the best model, where can it be purchased, and is JB Weld/silver solder adequate or do the front and rear sights need to be drilled and tapped?

Thanks,
Coss

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Scoping a 20 ga smooth bore?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »
1. Weaver 82 is fine, 'best' is a bit subjective.  Some bases have more cross-slots that allow more position options.
2. JB no. Silver solder requires refinish - will 'cook' the bluing. Drill & tap is best option.
3. Tenth of an inch (0.100) will work but you can certainly go deeper on a 20 ga H&R barrel. 
4. Can certainly be done on a drill press IF you have the skill and experience.  A compound vise is best as it allows precise alignment.  Putting the hole in the wrong place or wrong angle is strictly verboten.
5. I'm not a professional gunsmith, but I would consider $30-40 to be fair for 3, properly placed, drill & tap holes.
6. Not really, other than old 2.5X Simmons. There is a Leapers that may work but I don't have one to verify.
7. You can use a Williams WGRS or attempt to find an old Lyman - used on H&R 162 (not likely). Regardless, see answer # 2.  Some front sights can be epoxied over the front sight bead.

Offline coss

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
Airsporter,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  Let's keep going with the questions:

8.  What other scope base options are available with more mounting slots than the Weaver 82?

9.  If the Simmons 2.5x20mm scope is no longer made, has anyone tried the Tasco Bantam in front of the hammer, and does it have enough eye relief for this application?

Thanks again,
Coss

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:08:03 PM »
1) Warne & Leupold both make scope bases for handi's
2) as stated silver solder would require rebluing
3&4) I have no answer for
5) I've had three 20ga's done by my smith and he charged $50 apiece
6) Simmons pro diamond 4X32 will mount in front of the hammer.
7) No answer
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
I have a Sight Mark Triple Duty SM13013 4X32 I picked up at a local gun show. Have put it on my 357 maxi. It sets 3/4 inch back of the breach. I have 6 inches of eye relief. I know nothing about this brand but am pleased so far, just got it mounted. I Used the regular Handi scope base.
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
8.  IIRC, the weaver #82 has 3 cross-slots.  Factory base has 5, factory 'Ultra' may have more.  Easy to custom cut more if you want.