Author Topic: Suppressor: blowback or delayed blowback?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Suppressor: blowback or delayed blowback?
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »
Howdy,
I was just wondering about suppressors and how they might change the mechanics of a pistol.
If it is attached to a 1911-type delayed blowback pistol barrel, can the bullet hit the bottom of the suppressor tube as the breech tips down, or is there enough time for the projectile to clear a 5-6" suppressor before that happens? Are suppressors only practical on straight-blowback pistols?
I've never seen one work, but I'm considering a Surefire for rifle applications.
Thanks,
Bitterroot

Offline BobJ

Re: Suppressor: blowback or delayed blowback?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:57:57 AM »
The suppressor screws onto the end of the barrel. The suppressor mfr will probably have extended and threaded barrels for your auto.

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:53:19 AM »
I figured that, but the barrel on a 1911 moves. The breech drops and the muzzle (on the other side of the bushing) goes up. If there is six inches of tubing screwed onto the muzzle, is there time for the bullet to exit before riding along the bottom of the tube?

Bitterroot

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 02:13:19 AM »
The suppressor moves with the bbl. so in effect you are giving leade to the bullet . if the bullet left the bbl then the bbl moved you could hit the inside of the suppressor it would be like the guy shooting birds in reverse and stopping his swing and shooting behind the bird but if he continues his swing as he fires he hits the bird .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 03:03:36 AM »
  The actual answer is sort of complicated scientificly, but in effect is simple.  Simple answer is, it's not a problem.  The bullet clears the can before the whole thing tips enough to matter.

A bigger problem with tilting barrels and suppressors is the extra weight of the can causing your Browning tip barrel delay to not tip.  Basically the gun becomes a manual repeater.  They make devices variously called Nielson devices, liner inertial decouplers or 'boosters' that make the gun/ammo/silencer combination work.  Again, there is plenty of science and voodoo in there but the effect is that it works.

In general (but not always) guns like the M9 or the P38 that have a falling lock block work OK without a booster.  The barrel recoils straight back so the added weight often doesn't effect cycling.  Often enough you can screw a silencer onto a beretta 92 (or other M9 type handgun) load it up with 147 grain ammo (which is generally subcsonic in handgun or smg lenght barrels) and shoot pretty reliably.  In general to supress a 1911 type pistol you need to get a silencer with a booster and then it works fine.

You have to remember, shooting silenced is a three part balancing act.  You need a gun, a silencer and ammunition that all work together.  Getting a centerfire semi auto handgun to work well suppressed is often a more elaborate balancing act that just screwing a can onto a 22 bolt action (or 22 pistol) and plinking away or threading up a 357 Handi and shooting 38 special through a 9mm can.  The 22lr is by far the most suppressable round, and definitely a front runner for anybody's first silencer.  You will get more use/enjoyment out of that than anything else.

If you are serious about looking into legal silencer ownership, you should go to silencertalk.  I think you have to register to see the forum, but there is more info there than anywhere else I know of.  Just lurk and read and you will learn a whole lot.  Good luck.

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 05:32:47 AM »
Thanks,
I hadn't thought what the extra weight would do to the function of a 1911, but I see how it would prevent the barrel from disengaging the slide.

Bitterroot