Author Topic: tracker II handloads  (Read 524 times)

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
tracker II handloads
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
Back around  2007-08 I started messing with reloading a full bore 20 ga slug  I bought some hard cast slugs from Dixie slugs , got a lot of good information from James Gates the owner  and set off roloading. I July of 08 my job went away,  and the new job ment moving to a new area and so the project got put on the back burner.
Well a couple months ago I picked up the tracker II and started thinking of my project . An email to Dixie slug  and I found out the slugs I was using are no longer sold . So further trails with the 20 some I have left is a dead end.
Well after some searching I came up with 100 hard cast round balls  :) :)   after a bunch of reading and thinking I settled on a starting point loaded 5 up and headed to the club  First group  of 4 grouped 1 3/8th at 25 yards fifth shell had an extra nitro card and upened the group up to 2 1/2". shell was marked and called flier . Went home loaded 10 more  5 fire at 50 yards group just under 3 inches, but being that I am terrible at paper targets the last 5 were put to a practical test . On the bank 20 feet behind the target stands are broken clay birds used as targets  5 shot hit 4 pieces and the 5th shot was just under and would have "barked" a squirrel perfectly . I will load more for next week end and chrony them If they are doing 1250 or so I am set
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline casper_zip

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Contributor
Re: tracker II handloads
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »
Howdy:

Read your post with great interest. I will have a 20ga. tracker II pretty soon. It should be in my hands in a couple of weeks. I am very interested in your shooting and reloading. I want to try some of the round balls, too. I bought my 20ga. rifled gun on here, and have to go to my FFL to pick it up when it comes in.

I had been shooting my 12ga. fully rifled H&R, but I just ain't gonna get my dentures ejected anymore by that thing. I have some great shooting 12ga. smooth bores that shoot slugs like a good rifle, so that ain't no problem for me.

I was looking today thru my old Dixie Gun Works catalog, and wishing I had an up to date one. Please keep us posted on your project, as I am eagerly awaiting any/all news on it.

Best,

casper_zip

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
well there is good news and bad news  good news  is 5 shots 11f.p.s. spread  1190, 1190,1196,1197 and 1201 f.p.s.
Bad news
I fired 2 rounds at a half grain more power and got pressure signs I am thinking not enough cushion so I changed up the wad column . Next time I can get to the range is friday
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »
plumber,
what diameter round ball are you using?  Also, any idea of the hardness of the lead?   I am assuming that your Tracker II is fully rifled.   I have been working on launching 58 cal minie balls and Lyman 20 ga sabot slugs and so far not much to brag about.  The shotwads that I have found (orange duster) do not perform well, destroyed petals, gas seals separated from the wad column, etc.   My 20 ga Tracker II shorty does fairly well with Remington Sluggers but you gotta like scrubbing lead out of the bore. :P   I have looked quite a bit for a 62 cal minie ball or MZ bullets to use as a full bore projectile.  Only ones I have found are way to heavy, trying to keep the bullet below 1 oz.   Good luck and let us know how your testing goes. 
BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
According to my calipers .626 cast from ww quenched in water

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
According to my calipers .626 cast from ww quenched in water

thank you.
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.