Author Topic: 45acp recommendations in a SA  (Read 560 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
45acp recommendations in a SA
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:37:08 AM »
I just got a Ruger Flat top convertible. I've been loading 45LC for awhile, so I've got that down pat. I've not messed with the 45acp before.  Anything in particular to stay away from concerning the ACP loads? While looking at my gunstore, I found .451 lead bullets from 185gr up to 230gr. SWC and round noses. I usually load lead for the Colt loads, so figured I'd go the same route with the ACPs.
Powder wise, I have TrailBoss, 231, Unique, Clays and 296 that I use for the Colt loads.

I've yet to get a set of dies. Will these rounds need to be crimped(rolled) or do they use neck tension?

Thanks in advance,
HWD

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: 45acp recommendations in a SA
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:54:23 AM »
My Hornday dies are labeled for 45 LC, 45 Win.Mag and 45 ACP.. and I load all three cartridges with the same dies..You will need a taper crimp die for the acp..and a shell holder for the 30-06/.308 families of cartridges is what you need for the ACP.  check out the Hodgdon website for load data.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:27:40 AM »
Thanks Spinafish,
I've got the Lee set, that comes with the factory crimp die, for my 45LC loading. I don't think it'll do double duty but I may be wrong. I'll check it out!

HWD

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:40:43 AM »
My favorite load when I had mine was a 200 gr SWC over 7.0 gr of Unique for about 1000 fps. Fun to shoot and very accurate.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:03:26 AM »
The 45 Colt dies won't give you a taper crimp on the ACP, since the reach of the Colt case is deeper and therefore, placing the crimp taper deeper into the die. You list 231 as one of your powders and that's an excelent choice for the ACP with cast or jacketed. Before buying a complete set of dies for the ACP, see if your 45 Colt dies will adjust down enough to expand the case mouth and seat a bullet because if they do, all you need to buy is a Lee 45 ACP Factory crimp die and you're done.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:14:31 AM »
With a 45 GAP roll crip die you can load 0.451" round balls for your 45 ACP revolver.  I cast them with wheel weight alloy and coat them with Lee's Alox tumble lube.  This is the cheapest 45ACP load I have found.  They are easy to load, shoot well with little recoil, and make 45 cal holes in whatever you hit.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:13:31 AM »
Make sure you use a tapered crimp on your 45 ACP loads and not a roll crimp. The Ruger cylinder utilizes the case mouth for headspacing.

I use separate RCBS carbide die sets for my 45 Colt and 45 ACP, but you may need to just buy a tapered crimp die. I crimp all my pistol cartridges separately with the Lee Factory crimp die.

yooper77

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:39:18 AM »
I picked up a set of dies the other day. Now just gotta get by my gunshop for some lead.

HWD

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:09:22 AM »
A 45 flat top in 45 LC and acp!  Was it s genuine flattop converted to 45? IE a three screw frame?

How generous is the cylinder? I mean will 45 AR brass work?

I use it in my S&W 25 and it shoots allot better than acp not to mention easier to manipulate.

As for a loading I like ww231 and a 200LSWC.

For hunting I used to like the Speer 260 HP. But switched to the Fed Hydro Shok in 230 +P. shoots better easier and works wonderfully. I have shot at least two deer with that load. One from a 5" 1911 and a second from a Marlin Camp carbine.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 09:39:30 AM »
CW
This a Special run from Ruger for Lipsey's. They come in 5.5'' or 4 5/8, blued or stainless. All of them have "ivory" grips.

My lite reloads in 45lc hit same POI as the factory 230hp Remingtons that I got from WallyWorld.

Though I heard/read of others talking about the 45AR, I don't know that I've ever seen one. Is it just a rimmed 45acp? Kinda like a shortened 45colt? If it's a rimmed version, I don't know that I'd be able to use it in the ACP cylinder. Things are kinda tight.

For a picture of this beast, go over to Lipsey site. Pay no attention to MSRP. I got mine for less than $600. There are times that I wish I were a little smarter where these dang machines are concerned! I'd just post a picture of it or give ya link, if I knew how. Where are all the teenagers when ya need them?

HWD

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »
Oh these are the medium framed ones. Not for "RUGER ONLY" loads.

HWD

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »
My Uberti .45 ACP cylinder for the SA "Cimeron" Mdl seems to shoot all of my various cast .45 ACP loads quite well.  I use a target load with 4.3 gr Bullseye under the Lee 45-195-SWC, an IPSC load of 5 gr Bullseye under a 200 gr SWC (usually commercial cast from LaserCast) and a 225 gr RN load (LaserCast) with 4.3 gr N320 for my "Wild Bunch" CAS load.  My "service load" with a 200 gr hard cast SWC over 7.5 gr Unique also does quite well and is the most accurate.  I've not shot any jacketed bullets through that revolver. 

Larry Gibson

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »
Sorry kind of a late reply, but there's an article I played with concerning pretty powerful acp loads for Blackhawks.  I verified all these safe in my firearm also.  More sharp recoil than I wanted.  I use H110 in .45 Colt if I intend to get to these levels normally.  ;)

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=41
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »
CW
This a Special run from Ruger for Lipsey's. They come in 5.5'' or 4 5/8, blued or stainless. All of them have "ivory" grips.

My lite reloads in 45lc hit same POI as the factory 230hp Remingtons that I got from WallyWorld.

Though I heard/read of others talking about the 45AR, I don't know that I've ever seen one. Is it just a rimmed 45acp? Kinda like a shortened 45colt? If it's a rimmed version, I don't know that I'd be able to use it in the ACP cylinder. Things are kinda tight.

For a picture of this beast, go over to Lipsey site. Pay no attention to MSRP. I got mine for less than $600. There are times that I wish I were a little smarter where these dang machines are concerned! I'd just post a picture of it or give ya link, if I knew how. Where are all the teenagers when ya need them?

HWD

OK kinda glad no one sacrificed a orig flat top to make what you described. As much as I love the 45 above the 44 it's not right. I was not aware Lipseys contracted that. I have seen other calibers in the past.

The auto rim case is specifically made to work in a revolver cylinder that will accept a 45 acp on a "moon" clip. It is quite thick much more so than a LColt case. But easier to work with than the ACP.

I don't have a convertible to try it on but by design may not work in a SA.

CW.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.