Author Topic: lyman 225462  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
lyman 225462
« on: January 05, 2004, 10:00:21 AM »
Can anyone tell me anything about this bullet.  What weight is it and how good should I expect it to shoot out of a 1 in 14 twist at about 1600 to 1800fps?

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
lyman 225462
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 10:46:25 AM »
This is a 57 gr RN GC number having 2 lub groves and a crimping grove. How good it shoots depends upon many other factors. 8)

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
lyman 225462
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 11:18:50 AM »
I ain't a pilgram in casting, loading and shooting cast bullets.  I know that there lots of factors involved in making any bullet shoot good.  The factor that I can't change is the one in fourteen twist in the 10 inch TC barrel that I will be shooting it from.  Given that, I also know that not all 10 inch contender barrels are the same.  Some will stableize a longer bullet and some won't.  

Before I buy the mold though, I would like to know if anyone has shot this bullet at this low speed and if it did or did not stableize.

I shoot this barrel in silhouette NRA Hunter compatition at 1/2 size targets.  Volicity has to be low to minimize target damage.  I also shoot a soft alloy for the same reason.

I have tried 55 grain fmj boattail bullets and they are just a bit unstable at the 100 meter mark.  On paper, the hole was just a bit oblong and accuracy was not as good at 100 meters as one might expect from looking at the 50 meter accuracy.  Fifty grain sp bullets work fine and groups at 100 meters are under an inch at 100 meters, with my load.  

I just thought it would be fun to see if I can get a cast bullet to shoot in the Hornet barrel.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline w30wcf

• Avid Poster
lyman 225462
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 06:20:09 AM »
Sixgun,

I have fired this bullet in a 1/16" twist  Model 43 Winchester .22 Hornet with 3.8 grs. of 231. This load  clocked just under 1,600 f.p.s. it's 24" barrel and accuracy was very good @ 100 yards with 5 shot groups running in the 1" - 1 1/2" range.

The alloy I used is wheel weights with 2% tin added and the bullet weight is 59 grs.  I sized them to .225" diameter and used Hornady gas checks.

I have a few left over from my last casting session and could send you 10 or so to tryout.   w30wcf@erieonline.com

Good luck,
w30wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
Life Member NRA
.22 WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF cartridge historian

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
lyman 225462
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 03:50:49 AM »
w30wcf

I got the bullets in the mail yesterday.  It is soooo cold outside, I will probably wait until it warms up a little before I go out and test them.  It should be an a few days.  It does get cold in the Boise Valley but we can get days in the high 40s too.

Again Thanks for the test bullets.  I will post the results.

Sixgun

Offline The Cast Bullet Kid

lyman 225462
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 12:34:13 PM »
Hi,  :D
Just got back from the range after shooting some No. 2 alloy 225462's in my Rem 700 .223 with a 1-12 twist.
Loaded them over a WSR primer, 7-9gr Unique and a firm neck tension.  Sized .225 and lubed with "Beaver Grease".
7.0, 7.5 & 8.0 all shot MOA at 100m.  Velocities for ref.
7.0     1830fps
7.5     1930fps
8.0     2010fps
8.5     2080fps
9.0     2160fps
Just thought you might be interested.
Cheers

Jeff

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Test Results
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 05:48:21 PM »
W30wcf,

Yesterday, Monday, was a day off for me and the temp got above freezing for the first time in 3 weeks and the wind was not blowing, so I loaded up the sample bullets you sent me and went out to the range.  Of course, the wind picked up when I got out there but the temp held at about 35 F the whole time I was out there.

225462 Lyman

I loaded 4 grains of Win 231 with R-P Brass and CCI small rifle primers.
I shot a 5 shot group at 50 meters (pig distance) with a sandbag rest.
High Volicity = 1612fps
Low Volicity =  1563fps
Average      =  1588fps
Spread        =  48.76fps
Std Div       =  18.4

Three shots were touching in less than a 1/2 inch group and there were two flyers about 1 inch on either side.  It could have been because I was shivering but from the spread and Standard Divation, I think they were real flyers.  I shot the remaining rounds at a swinging pig silhouette and connected with all shots, useing a taco hold.  I painted it before shooting and all of the shots were within a 2 inch spot.  

NEI 55 gr

Again, I loaded 4 grains of Win 231 with R-P Brass and CCI small rifle primers and  shot a 5 shot group at 50 meters (pig distance) with a sandbag rest.

High Volicity = 1621fps
Low Volicity  = 1604fps
Average       = 1613fps
Spread        =  16.98fps
Std Div        =  6.16

Four shots were touching and one was a flyer which opened the group up to just over 1/2 inch.  I painted the pig again and got the same results that I did with the Lyman bullets.

In both cases, there was no damage to the pig and I think I could work up a load that would be even more accurate for each bullet.  One thing that was really good was the fact that recoil, useing the taco hold, was light enough that I could watch the pig get hit through my scope.  

I really appreciate W30wcf for furnishing me some bullets to test.  I have shot lots of cast bullets but I only recently thought of useing cast in my Hornet.  It looks like I will be getting into casting 22 cal bullets now.

Sixgun