Author Topic: Range finder reticle  (Read 512 times)

Offline Incitatus

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Range finder reticle
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:18:14 AM »
I have an old Bushnell scope with a reticle like the one in the lower left position in the illustration.  Can someone please explain to me how it works?  The zoom ring has the notations "A E D" with yardage numbers at each power setting.

Thank you.

NRA Life Member-Patron-Endowment-Benefactor

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Range finder reticle
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:41:16 AM »

Hello Incitatus:
  I will give you a guess at since no one has responded.
  I would guess that the 2 crosswires are set to measure a set dimension at each range. Maybe they are set for a deer's measurement from the top of his back to it's sturnum at maybe 100yds., say for example 18". You set the deer between the crosswires and turn the adjustment until the deer fills the crosswire space then look at your setting to give you the yardage then adjust your aiming for that distance. But if you don't know how your rifle shoots say at 500yds. then it will be of no use to you, you have to shoot it in order to find the point of impact at various distances.
  This is just a guess,
  I hope it helps
  HM

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »
I think you have gotten some good advice.  Those recticles were popular about 25 years ago.  Never owned one.  I shoot to 400 yds and have never needed one.  If the range seems very long, I hold over the deer just enough to see daylight under my horizontal wire.  Otherwise, I hold somewhere on the deer.  I sight all my rifles at approximately 1.5 t0 2" high at 100 yards.  With the advent of laser range finders, the recticle you have is not as popular.  May not even be offered any more.
Know your rifle(s) ballistics.  That is the most important key to shooting.  In my youth, I think I missed more deer by shooting over them, than under them.  I get al lot closer now as well.

Offline Incitatus

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
I had the dang thing for years and never paid it much attention.  Just got off the phone with Bushnell and they set me straight.  There are a number of adjustments you can make to the scope re. bullet weights, type of game and so on. 

Ever see Caddyshack with the Rodney Dangerfield character and his golf bag?  Reminds me a bit of that.
NRA Life Member-Patron-Endowment-Benefactor

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 07:35:25 AM »
D= Deer
E= Elk
A= Antelope

If you bracket the Deers chest say on six power it will read 250yds, Elk-325yds, and Antelope- 200yrds.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 02:18:21 AM »
i got one of those scopes too and if memory serves me well eye shot  is correct or thats how i used mine there should also be caliber caps .22 -30-30--45-70
   rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:34:18 AM »
Ron 1 is right, I have two Bushnells a 3x9 & 4x12AO. Both have three turrents for elevation- #1,2,3 but I don't know witch turrent is for what guns. Redfield had about the same but you would see the range right inside the scope.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte