Author Topic: Finally found one!!  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Doe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Finally found one!!
« on: December 24, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Pre lock!! 8)

Offline wvjoetc

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Finally found one!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »
Nice 94 and pics, is this your first?

Joe
TC Renegade 50 cal
CVA Bobcat  50 cal
"Here Pilgram skin this'n an I'll get you another"

Offline Doe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 05:58:46 PM »
Yeah, it's my first, I've not even shot it yet and believe it or not i never shot a 30-30 before :o  shot everthing else including the big barret 50 cal.  Will post the result later 8) .

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 05:32:10 AM »
Nice find.   Take plenty of ammo to the range - they're FUN to shoot!

Almost forgot - if you're curious what year it was made go to leverguns.com, click on Winchester resources on the home page and you can enter your serial number and will tell you the year of manufacture.

Offline wvjoetc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 06:16:42 PM »
Doe,

The 30-30 is a great caliber, mild recoil, easy to load for, very reasonable to buy factory ammo, and great hunting rifle.  Enjoy

Joe
TC Renegade 50 cal
CVA Bobcat  50 cal

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 12:53:11 AM »
  They are a great lever.  Have fun. 
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »
Nice find.   Take plenty of ammo to the range - they're FUN to shoot!

Almost forgot - if you're curious what year it was made go to leverguns.com, click on Winchester resources on the home page and you can enter your serial number and will tell you the year of manufacture.

Unfortunately my 30 Gun was made sometime during or just after the "war" years (sometime during 1943-48 according to that site).    All the family is dead who might know for sure what year my grandpa bought it new.   Killed my first mule deer, first elk, first bear, first cougar and first coyotes with it, lots more after and a bunch of cook pot fodder as well.   It's still in great condition too for being up to 68 years old and having seen a lot of use from the 40's to 70's.   It's been a very long time since I shot it, but the good memories with it still come to mind now and then. 

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 09:56:29 AM »
I've been workin on some minor projects on my M4, and finished sighting it in about 2 wks ago. Yesterday I filled a 1 gallon milk jug with water and decided on a 300 yard shot with it. I lay the jugs on their side, with the bottom facing me. This makes for a 6" square, and a smaller target, to put a little challenge to it. When I got the AR out of the safe, I heard somethin whisper and looked back in.
It was my 54 year old Model 94 Winchester 3030. It was sayin: Hey! We've been together since 1958. What's the deal? So I grabbed it too. Since I hadn't shot my 3030 in about 6 months, I decided to give it first crack at the jug, since it has a Marbles tang sight instead of a scope like the AR. Well, one shot, and the exercise was done. I was an inch and a half above dead center. It was cold and I didn't get out, I just shot it out the pickup window.
Sometimes I wonder why I bought that AR.

Congrats on your Winchester. Mine doesn't look new anymore. It just looks like the rest of my family. Worn, but reliable.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Doe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 03:02:09 AM »
Thanks guys, found out the gun is made in 1975  ;D  now i need to get some reloading dies and load some cast bullets for it. Tell me something though did Win ever made 30/30 lever that was predrill and tap for a side scope mount?  I took off the side scope mount on mine it just didn't look right and what year would that be? 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 03:19:41 AM »
Yes they did . you should have three screws holding it on . two can be filled with filler screws ( If I remember correctly) the other needs a shorter screw from Brownell's or such.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline spruce

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 03:31:14 AM »
Not sure about the pre-64's but all the top ejects made after 1963 were factory drilled and tapped for receiver sights/side mount scopes.
Side mounts are made by Weaver, Williams Gun Sight, Kwik-Site, and I'm sure others.  Not sure what you mean by "doesn't look right", but after you take the mount off you'll need plug screws for the 2 rear mounting holes and IIRC for the front mounting hole you need an original length screw as I'm thinking the mount came with a longer replacement screw.
Bear with me here - it's been a long, long time since I put a side mount on mine (had it on for only a week or two and it now resides somewhere in one of my junk boxes!) so maybe someone with more knowledge (and a better memory!) will chime in here.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 03:41:42 AM »
you are correct.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Doe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 01:00:50 PM »
Not sure about the pre-64's but all the top ejects made after 1963 were factory drilled and tapped for receiver sights/side mount scopes.
Side mounts are made by Weaver, Williams Gun Sight, Kwik-Site, and I'm sure others.Not   sure what you mean by "doesn't look right", but after you take the mount off you'll need p
lug screws for the 2 rear mounting holes and IIRC for the front mounting hole you need an original length screw as I'm thinking the mount came with a longer replacement screw.
Bear with me here - it's been a long, long time since I put a side mount on mine (had it on for only a week or two and it now resides somewhere in one of my junk boxes!) so maybe someone with more knowledge (and a better memory!) will chime in here.
When i look down the barrel my eye line up with the factory sight, i would have to move my head slightly off the gun stock to see through the scope.

Offline spruce

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »
That's why most of us don't care much for a side mount scope on a M94 - it's somewhat awkward to use.  I suppose you could put some kind of slip on or lace on cheek rest on the stock to bring your eye more in line with the scope if you wished to use it with a side mount scope.

The other scoping option for a top eject is a "scout" type mount with an extended eye relief scope mounted ahead of the ejection port.

Offline wvjoetc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 02:43:23 AM »
Hey Doe, did you ever have a chance to shoot your 94?  Had you ever thought about putting a peep on your Winny?

Joe
TC Renegade 50 cal
CVA Bobcat  50 cal

Offline Doe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 04:11:48 AM »
Hey Doe, did you ever have a chance to shoot your 94?  Had you ever thought about putting a peep on your Winny?

Joe
Ya, I thought about peep sight and no i've not shot it yet  :-[  , been doing alot of small gaming lately  ;D .  My eye's are still pretty good so the factory sight looks good for now.