Author Topic: Reinstate the Draft?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: Reinstate the Draft?
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
Recently Barry decided to heavily cut military spending in the latest budget.   The top military brass stated that the US military will no longer be able to fight on two different fronts (ex. Iraq & Afganistan) simultaneously, and will have to lean heavily on the reserves and National Guard. 

Have these facts caused anyone to change their mind, about their previous positions toward resuming the draft?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2012, 01:53:04 AM »
Recently Barry decided to heavily cut military spending in the latest budget.   The top military brass stated that the US military will no longer be able to fight on two different fronts (ex. Iraq & Afganistan) simultaneously, and will have to lean heavily on the reserves and National Guard. 

Have these facts caused anyone to change their mind, about their previous positions toward resuming the draft?
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
   That's an old democrat/Liberal trick; as soon as a given "crisis" seems to lighten up...start slashing the military..
  They did it after WW1, WW2, the Korean conflict and Jimmy did it after Vietnam.  They slashed the funds for equipment repair & replacement and training, then as each new conflict broke out, many good men were killed and wounded unnecessarily.   Thank goodness R. Reagan had good sense enough to rebuild after Jimmie left and the first Gulf War wasn't a repeat of the "slaughter in the desert" engineered by the Carterites..trying to rescue the Iranian embassy hostages.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2012, 02:24:58 AM »
With Obama's new plans to cut the force by 1/3 by 2022, and his recently signed StratPlan, those who favor the draft will get their wish. I do not favor a draft myself. It took awhile to clean up the damage done by our last draft, and having been to combat a few times, and heading back most likely, there's no way I'd want my life contingent on anyone less motivated.

To the OP, I have always been fascinated by Heinlein's model where citizenship (as simply the rights to vote and own property) was earned only through public service (not birth), not necessarily military, and anyone who wanted to serve could regardless of ability - not equal opportunity, just finding a job for which they are qualified, even if they're handicapped. This would include non-native born, and would be their sole means to citizenship. The older I get, the more attractive this becomes, and all the detractors of such a model are losing their relevance. Of course, I'd also take social institutions back from the government and leave it with churches and communities, etc. who always do it better for less. So a non-citizen born in this country would still have opportunities to succeed/fail, and reap the fruits/consequences of their actions, with a reasonable expectation of a safe and healthy environment in which to live. There are holes in that model, but I prefer them to the holes in our current model.
held fast

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 06:07:02 AM »
When I was in college there were a lot of returning vets there too. They were not kids just out of high school, they had grown up and knew something about life. They were the ones who always ruined the grade curve. I wish my boy had at least joined the Guard. I couldn't talk him into it, but I can't complain about the way he turned out.

The Army in Nam was a mess. I was there just before we bailed out. Drugs were easier to get than beer. PFC's would disobey orders and get away with it . The NCO's and company grade officers had lost control. It took years to put the Army back together again after that war, but I was very, very proud of our volunteer soldiers in the next major war.

One would think that a stint in the military would give our young people a sense of patriotism and teamwork. But I'm afraid of the unintended consequences. Would we just be taking our best young men and polluting them with a bunch of inner city looser druggies.