Author Topic: Sillohuette Handgun  (Read 1074 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Sillohuette Handgun
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »
Joined a club not too long ago and they have a once a month event shooting silohuette handgun at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.
Are any of you guys shooting this and what set up are you shooting?
I was trying my open sighted handguns but at night I can not see the sights well enough to make hits.
Just wanted ot see what you all are using and what I cna either buy or modify.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Silhouette Handgun
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
Hoping to join a local range in the next couple months that have this type of silhouette set-up.  I've gone there a few times with my buddy and decided to put down some dough and join myself.  Also has out to 500m for doing some BPCR style silhouette which I'd like to try with my 1881 Marlin 40-60.  ;)  I have also hit the 500m ram a few shots on fairly calm days with my 7.5x55 Swiss which is a 1917 made version of the inline bolt, not the K31 more modern version.  I really like that as well.  Hoping soon to get a Garand to do this with also.  ;)

***edit***

Mine only use iron sights.  I have only 2 scoped rifles and one has no sights, so I have no choice.  hehe

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Sillohuette Handgun
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
Silhouette shooting at night? Never heard of that.
I shoot IHMSA Field Pistol with my Freedom Arms model 97 .357, but we only shoot during the day. I've added an undercut patridge style sight for a better sight picture. I tried the ISGW rear/hooded front, but they looked silly on a 4" small frame revolver, so I'm back to stock rear/undercut front.

I'm buying a GP100 and might use that for open sight class, then switch the F/A to a red dot sight for the any sights class.

I've also used a Contender in .22 WMR and .357 and an Encore with custom MGM .357 barrel.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »
Silhouette shooting at night? Never heard of that.
I shoot IHMSA Field Pistol with my Freedom Arms model 97 .357, but we only shoot during the day. I've added an undercut patridge style sight for a better sight picture. I tried the ISGW rear/hooded front, but they looked silly on a 4" small frame revolver, so I'm back to stock rear/undercut front.

I'm buying a GP100 and might use that for open sight class, then switch the F/A to a red dot sight for the any sights class.

I've also used a Contender in .22 WMR and .357 and an Encore with custom MGM .357 barrel.
4th Monday night at Coyote point and it's 22LR only.
The Browning Buck Mark Silohuette was hard to see and the S&W M17 with partridge sights was impossible to see.  Both guns I use for falling plates during the day and have no problem.
Well.
I am thinking of either a scope like a scout scope I had on the silohuette for bowling pins, a pistol scope, or a red dot with different reticles that may help with the distance of 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »

Is it just informal or sanctioned IHMSA/NRA?

I tried a scope (2X), but it just magnified my wobbly hold. I had a 1" tube red dot on a Mark III that was pretty sweet. I would think that would be a great choice for night shooting. Zero at 75 yards, hold on the belly of the chickens at 25, low center on the 50 yard piggies and top of the back on the 100 yard rams.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:12:50 AM »

Is it just informal or sanctioned IHMSA/NRA?

I tried a scope (2X), but it just magnified my wobbly hold. I had a 1" tube red dot on a Mark III that was pretty sweet. I would think that would be a great choice for night shooting. Zero at 75 yards, hold on the belly of the chickens at 25, low center on the 50 yard piggies and top of the back on the 100 yard rams.
IS there a semi Formal match.
Not sanctioned but run by a champion so he makes us follow most of the rules.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
I shot IHMSA for many years, including some night matches.   Used several revolvers with open sights, TC Contender/Encore's, Wichita's, XP-100's, all with both open sights and scopes.   The firing line was lighted and that helped with seeing the sillies, and I used a sight mod I had used years before with the open sights.   Way back in the 60's/70's I shot rimfire sillies at a private gun club, not sanctioned and sillies of our own design.   Mostly I shot semi auto's, both with open sights and scopes.   For both day and the few night shoots I used white outline rear and white post front for the open sights, and they worked good enough even just by moon/star light - it was the sillies that were hard to see as the range was not lighted.   Just part of the challenge IOW.   I also opened up the rear sight blade a little to make it easier to see the front and rear separate from each other.   Had younger eye then though, probably wouldn't work as well for these old eyes now days.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »
IS there a semi Formal match.
Not sanctioned but run by a champion so he makes us follow most of the rules.

Cool.
I'll help you spend your money. You need one of these for night shoots, F/A model 97 .357 with Trijicon Reflex (battery free);