Author Topic: Ultra Comp 30-06 does Pest Control.  (Read 636 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Ultra Comp 30-06 does Pest Control.
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:04:19 PM »
Was outside today moving snow, listening to the radio on headphones, and just enjoying the warm day, (12 above).  Heard a shot come from next door.  Then saw a big husky type dog run through my back yard, turn and go out onto the pipeline right of way.  Neighbor came running following the dog,  Mike was carrying a pistol, and I just knew he was the one that fired a shot.  I went inside the garage, grabbed one of my 30-06s and a box of shells.  Came back outside as mike got to the door.  He was winded running through snow mid thigh deep.  He said the dog had broken into his den through the glass doors.  Had pulled an Elk head off the wall and tore it up pretty bad.  he had taken a shot as it crossed his driveway, but he missed.  I handed him my 30-06, pointed to the snow machine and told him to get on.  I fired up the machine, and headed down the trail to the pipeline. 

Dog was lying on the ground, chewing on a chunk of Elk skin, about 150 yards away.  We had never seen the dog before, but smashing through a glass door is unforgivable in our book.  When he saw me pull out onto the right of way he stood up and started barking at us.  I stopped, took the 30-06, dropped one shell into the chamber.  Told Mike to cover his ears, I was already wearing Ear Muffs.  Laid the rifle across the windshield, ended the problem.  165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, did what it was supposed to do.  Hit right side of chest, angled back towards the left hip, No exit.  Dog spun around twice, then went down.

I drove down there, tied a rope around his neck, and drug it over to Mike's house.  Mike is going to try and find out who the dog belonged to.  He feels the owner should pay for the glass door and the damage to the Elk head.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Ultra Comp 30-06 does Pest Control.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:45:47 PM »
I miss your stories!!

This one is different, but just as good!!

WOW, busted INTO the house thru a sliding glass door!!!!
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »
Yep, a good story as usual, keep them coming. Sounds like that dog was desperately hungry...not any more ;)

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »
Would hate to walk up on that one in the woods, or have it tracking me!

I'd rather face any wild animal than a ferral dog since they have little fear of man!    Ya did good nailing that one to the dirt!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Flashole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:27:05 PM »
Think I might have shot one of my own dogs for doing that type of damage.  Some one else's dog or a ferrel dog  no question.  Did the right thing.

=FLASH=
=FLASH=

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
live by the 3 S's

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »
Fortunately, we don't have to live by the three Ss here in Alaska.  Dogs are not allowed to run loose, we have a strict leash law.  Goes for cats too.  If you let fluffy out to run loose, and fluffy does not come back.  Too bad, so sad. 

A lot of folks, like me set traps in their back yards to catch Fox, Coyote, Wolverine, Martin, Lynx, and anything else that runs loose with fur on it. 

Full moon, the wife hears screaming in the back yard around midnight, wakes me up.  I open the window, look out, and locate a Lynx.  Lynx is playing with a Snow Shoe Hare, like cats do before killing it to eat.  The scope in my .17HMR picks up the scene just fine.  Pop, then go get dressed and collect the animal.  I've shot two Lynx, and one Wolf, from that window with a rifle.  I've shot one Moose with a bow from that window.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:56:57 AM »
Dang shoot a dog here and they want to hang you! all you here is my poor dog yet the reason he was loose is  he had not eaten in a week.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:07:33 AM »
It's the same here in CT! You can not even put your own dog down. ( Not supposed too anyhow) growing up on a farm, it's the way of things. It's not easy but it's life and I for one feel most folks have gotten to insulated from the basics of life death and living self sustaining life styles. But don't get me started. ( BTW present company excluded)

My cousin in upstate NY is a sheriff and has had many such run ins with dogs as he is pretty rural up there. Anyhow this guy in town had two Dobermans that he let run free. They where generally a nusance, hitting garbage, chasing deer and peoples chickens and such. On e he found the owner he brought the dogs to him with a stern warning. The guy was less than pleasent. He was told under no uncertain terms his dogs would be shot if the where caught running deer again. Well some time later the dogs where again running free and up to same nonsense. IIRC He found them and shot them put them in bags and delivered them to there owner for him to dispose of.
This was some 30 years ago, I doubt it would have "flown" today... But people need to be held accountable and realise there are reprocessnions for every action and decision that they make.

I say good job Roger!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:05:06 AM »
I've seen what a pack of dogs running loose can do, and I've had encounters with a pack during off season scouting, and why I never go anywhere walking through the woods without a sidearm or rifle.    Left to fend for themselves a pack of dogs are dangerous, since they don't fear man, and they sense fear if you show signs of it and retreat as would a deer, and why they chase deer.

Walk up on them and show aggression and they will more often than not run away, and if they don't that is when you had better put them down on the spot.

It's not so much for food, but more for sport, and they will run a deer down to exhaustion taking turns chasing until the deer finally gives up which I have witnessed on some adjoining property that was high fenced, watching from afar.

I had one early encounter with a couple of dogs on opening weekend when I heard the barking nearby just after first light, and knew what it meant.
A few minutes later these two beagles appeared and both dogs looked to be in good shape and as they got closer they had collars and tags.   I shouted at them to "GIT" and they stopped and looked at me, and then hauled butt.     They were lucky as I made a judgement call and figured they were from some bird hunters on the nearby ranch that I had heard shooting off in the distance, and I never saw them again after that one incident.
That phrase, "you lucky dog" comes to mind!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline VT30-30

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (42)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 06:21:28 AM »
Growing up in rural northern VT. back about 40 years ago if dogs were running deer in late winter/early spring on my fathers
farm they usually didn't make it home. My father would know whos dogs they were and would inform the owners that their
dogs were running deer. They didn't usually get a second chance. One time a friend had a dog that always was very
friendly towards me, I always patted her, and she was a  nice dog. But later on I saw her, and 2 others dogs killing
a small doe who had gotten on ice and couldn't get up. Those dogs were chewing on that deers back end and she was still alive. I called the game warden who lived a few miles away and he came over, shot the doe and then went looking for the
dogs and owners. One owner had been warned about his dog and he got a ticket and fine. The owner told my father and I
if we ever saw one of his dogs chasing a deer again to shoot it and let him know later. I can still remember that deer and
how she looked laying on the ground. Not a very good way to die.
la mort avent le de'shonneur