Author Topic: Large lathe for barrel making for sale  (Read 1592 times)

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
Large lathe for barrel making for sale
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:12:27 AM »
Waxed up my keyboard and went surfing the internet this morning and found a couple pieces of large equipment that could very well be used in cannon barrel turning. on a web site call governmentliquidation.com I ran across a Lodge and Shipley LS SVS lathe ser# 48932 Model # 2013-17. it said the center distance was 78"/ swing over carriage24"/ swing over cross slide 17.5" approx. Wt. 4000 lbs. Value of $22,000.00, open bid $150.00. Bidding is by internet, starts 3/29/12 @12:00AM eastern time and ends 4/2/12 5:PM Eastern time.
Also up for internet auction at the same location is a Samco Industrail Saw Mfg. by Seifreat-Elstad measures 72"L X 36"W X 60" H. Valued @ 16,000.00. Same time and dates for auction as lathe  above. Event # 10648 Lot # 8851. Photos of the equipment is shown on the web site. Hope this helps anyone out there for future Cannon making.  Dennis

Offline GGaskill

Re: Large lathe for barrel making for sale
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »
Did you notice where it is located?  Transporting these things is always a problem.

It is in Seal Beach, CA.  And the url is really govliquidation.com.  And this machine is listed in woodworking machines!!!
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline onegreatshot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
Yes its in Seal Beach Ca. pretty far from the mis-west and eastcoast. Its at the Naval Weapons,  Center Seal Beach Ca. I( looked at all the photo's and its in a Machine shop with a lot of metal around it. No wood chips and no metal shavings either. Its just a throw out to those who are looking for a large lathe and the list for the bid is $150..00

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
If anyone else on this board is interested in this machine, please PM me so we can decide who is going to get it without driving the price any higher than necessary.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »
Gee George , Price rigging on a federal bid ?   ::)   ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »
No, bid co-ordination amongst a subset of bidders.  There may still be other bidders on this piece; probably some used machinery dealers, at least.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
At $150 for 4000 lbs you would be buying it for scrap prices.  Good luck on the bidding.  I would hate to see it scrapped.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
Hopefully it is not some oddball voltage.  And, of course, I would have to be high bidder.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:43:44 PM »
I need to be building longer barrels! I will buy this lathe, park it in Dennis's garage and camp out there during the winter, turning longer, larger barrels......right Dennis?

Michael
                         Home of the Golden Gun

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
 ;D Glad to see your branching out, Michael! Open a whole new venue for you, and a new set of customers! Ah...the "Home of The "Giant" Golden Gun".....
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline onegreatshot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 06:22:14 AM »
Oh Mike your such a kidder, however I did have a good laugh. We need to move the boat first. And no camping, got 2 bedrooms on the second floor that are available. Bring a GOLDEN GUN we can launch a couple of G/B's from the third deck into the Pacific Ocean.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:39 AM »
Looking at the listing for this machine, either the overall length (84") is wrong or the center to center distance (78") is wrong.  My guess is the c-c.  We will see if they answer my questions.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:59:01 PM »
George, did you ask about the voltage?
Hopefully it is not some oddball voltage.  And, of course, I would have to be high bidder.

Michael
                                  Home of the Golden Gun

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
Yes.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
Looking at the listing for this machine, either the overall length (84") is wrong or the center to center distance (78") is wrong.  My guess is the c-c.  We will see if they answer my questions.

C-C is correct. It's noted on the machine's info plate.

They don't seem to be too good on details. They list a Hardinge HLV with a thru-spindle hole of 11/16 (should read 1-1/16).

That L&S is a cannon maker's dream machine. Looks like it may have lived an easy life and comes with a few nice goodies. If the Trav-A-Dial works, that alone would be worth $150.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »
The bid is up to $1240 already; I am guessing I will not get this.  But I will keep watching it.

Now at $1496 plus 10% premium and sales tax (at least 8%).

Still watching this.  None of my questions were answered.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
As of 2 1/2 hours before the auction end time (2:26 PDT), the price is up to $4644 plus at least 18% so I am not going to get it.

25 minutes later and it is $6789 plus ....

That was the final bid; interesting to note that the closing time was 5 PM Eastern Daylight Time and the auction ran over the end time by 49 minutes.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 11:24:36 PM »
 Hopefully someone got a good deal. I wouldn't have paid that much without having taken it for a test drive though. Bit of a pig in a poke at that price.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »
Looks like the selling price almost doubled after the nominal closing time.  Sounds like a couple of people got emotional about it.
GG
--Winston Churchill