Author Topic: Bait pile/food plots there are differences  (Read 639 times)

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

• Trade Count: (0)
Bait pile/food plots there are differences
« on: March 14, 2003, 05:42:25 AM »
Food plots are not the same as bait piles.

If a landowner has 40 acres and wants to improve his hunting he can either bait or manage the land for deer.

By managing the land the owner must balance food AND cover.  So he can plant a food crop, but the more suface area he covers with food the less cover he provides for deer.  There's a balance point at which his food plot ruins the hunting.  

By baiting the land owner uses someone elses land to grow the food while he maintains his land for cover.

By managing the land, the land owner improves hunting by boosting population thus improving hunting for his neighbors as well.

By baiting the land owner draws deer off the neighbor's property potentially ruining hunting for neighbors.

With a food plot the deer are required to cover more ground to seek their needs.   The food is scattered in an open area.  The open area does not provide cover.  The deer must move from spot to spot to get food, water, avoid bugs, get out of the rain and wind, and hide from predators.  By moving they will more likely cross property boundaries and other hunter's.

A bait pile on the other hand can be placed in the midst of good cover.  The deer can bed down a few yards away from the bait pile.   They don't need to move as much.  It is more likely that the deer can meet all their needs within a 40 acre parcel.

When a food plot is eaten, it's gone until next year.  The deer must go elsewhere for food.  Simply not so with a bait pile.

I don't think there is anything unethical about baiting.  It's done for bear.  

I just think it's rude.  It certainly does affect other hunters.  There's actually some schmucks who think that placing a bait pile on public land is the equivalent of reserving a site! :eek:   If it isn't banned on private land it should be banned on public land strictly on this principal.

Nothing more crass than thinking you can stake a claim on a piece of property without paying for it or even paying taxes.  

I think I'll go build a house in Yellowstone Nat'l Park then tell people to get off my land! :roll:
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline tabbycat

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 06:27:03 AM »
Food plots & bait piles are placed there by man where that type of food did not exist  originaly. Furthermore they are placed there to attract & draw deer!
No matter whose land it is on or where it is placed or whatever!  Feeding deer is feeding deer is feeding deer no matter how we try to rationalize it. Amazing isn't it how well the human mind can rationalize something away that we don't want to deal with or admit? :-D  :)  Having said that I'll say this, I use both & have no problem with it :wink:

Tabbycat Elkins 8)
When the tailgate drops.....the Bull***t STOPS!!

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 11:20:17 AM »
:D Black Jaqque Janaviac makes good points again. I have been personally threatened on public land by a deer baiter. It still iritates me.
I don't mind if people bait but it doesn't give them a personal part of a National Forest. If it every happens again I'll turn in their lic# to the Warden and he can reason with them. :twisted:

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 07:00:11 AM »
Feeding deer is feeding deer is feeding deer no matter how we try to rationalize it. -Tabbycat

Sure, and shooting deer is shooting deer is shooting deer.  Therefor there is no difference between shooting a free-roaming deer in a national forest and shooting a deer that is tied to a fencepost in a field.  :roll:
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline tabbycat

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 08:44:32 AM »
:) The end result is the same they both die. :-D  :-D  :-D

Tabbycat Elkins 8)

Offline qweeksdraw

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 11:58:06 AM »
Bait piles are for people that can't kill deer on their terms,  I use em all the time.  It is truly amazing how close you can get them to come in.  I like them at the base of my tree so all I have to do is drop my razor sharp speer right through the boiler room.  

I have some dynomite I'm going to try next, and if that doesn't work I'm going to try poision peanut butter.

I sleep with my guns

Offline tabbycat

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 12:16:05 PM »
:)  :)  :) Let me know how the peanut butter works :-D  :-D  :-D

Tabbycat Elkins 8)