Author Topic: New to Handi Rifles. Some questions  (Read 537 times)

Offline Longfin

• Trade Count: (0)
New to Handi Rifles. Some questions
« on: January 17, 2012, 02:58:05 AM »
I recently picked up a used H&R with a 357 mag barrel. After reading much of the info one this site, I have a few questions. Okay, the serial number starts with BB so it seems this is a 1985 receiver. Cast iron? Meaning it is prior to SB1 or SB 2 designations and H&R/NEF would not have added that 357 barrel to that receiver. The number on the underbarrel lug does not match the last three digits of the receiver serial number. Markings on the receiver, suggest this was once an animal capture gun which I take to mean it fired transquilizers. I'm not sure what type of barrels are used for that work or if some type of sabot rounds  are used. Anyway, from what I have learned, I can not add any barrels to this receiver other than perhaps a shotgun barrel which I'm not interested in doing. (would love to have a 32 magnum or 327 mag barrel) The main question I have is about the plastic trigger guard which is broken. Since this receiver is 1985, anyone know what the correct part number for the trigger guard would be? Best place to purchase One? Any information, suggestions, and help would be apppreciated. 

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: New to Handi Rifles. Some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:12:56 AM »
I just bought 2 trigger guards from Brownells, just over $5 each. Read the FAQ's on replacing it. Don't remember the part number, but it seems they fit every gun going way back.
Sounds like you got a gun that someone replaced the barrel on, I would check the FAQ's on fitting a barrel and check everything to make sure it was done right.
A .327 mag sounds like fun, it would have to be a stub barrel, but I think your receiver would handle it.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Longfin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:37:57 AM »
Thanks, I was not sure if I should look for the trigger guard under Handi Rifle or under the Pardner or Topper shotgun or if they are the same part. I have viewed the tutorial on removing the trigger guard as part of doing a trigger job. Good information.

Regarding the present barrel, it seems to lock up tight and I have examined the fired brass and all looks fine.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
See the FAQs on receiver types.  Take off the rear stock to see which receiver you have by the cutouts in the rear of the receiver.  SB2 has the holes.  SB1 is smooth casting.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »
See the FAQs on receiver types.  Take off the rear stock to see which receiver you have by the cutouts in the rear of the receiver.  SB2 has the holes.  SB1 is smooth casting.

1985 is pre-SB1/SB2, they don't conform to post 1987 criteria as being solid or skeletonized, some have voids in the tang which are different than SB2.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
So that means it's a Topper with a cast iron frame?  Wouldn't it have the lower profile hammer and say 'Topper' or model number on the frame (158, etc)?
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:12:20 PM »
Yes on the cast iron, no on the hammer, late H&R Inc firearms had high hammers just like modern H&Rs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain