Author Topic: GBO BLACKOUT!!!  (Read 538 times)

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
GBO BLACKOUT!!!
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »

GBO WILL GO BLACK WEDNESDAY JANUARY 18, 2012 FOR 12 HOURS!

January 18th, 2012 is the largest online protest in history, to stop the internet censorship bills, SOPA & PIPA
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: GBO BLACKOUT!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
I just tried wikipedia and they were doing the blackout as well. They had a slot where you put in your zip code to get contact information for your state representative.
Molon labe

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
I have been working so much I have not had much time to put anything together but if you look on the main forums index page there is a link there to join the strike.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »
I didn't read the original notice of GBO signing on to the the blackout, and earlier today when I clicked on the site and got the blackout page, I was surprised and reloaded it, thinking my computer had somehow gone back to the Wikipedia site I was on earlier.

Nope, it was still there, and then I noticed the GBO note at the top of the page. I was actually pleased to see that you had chosen to make the protest. I did winge a bit that I couldn't get on my favorite site (instant gratification foiled) but that quickly replaced by my pleasure, and pride, to be associated with GBO for taking the stand.

Kudos to you Matt and Bill. One more reason for me to treasure GBO!
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline yellowtail3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
GBO WILL GO BLACK WEDNESDAY JANUARY 18, 2012 FOR 12 HOURS!

January 18th, 2012 is the largest online protest in history, to stop the internet censorship bills, SOPA & PIPA

Well done; I was surprised and then very pleased to see GBO take a stand here.

Bravo Zulu
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 to what yellowtail said.......this is one of the few times he and I are in complete agreement.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:42:08 PM »
Way to go Matt and GB!  I'm on board with the SOPA/PIPA protests! 
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »
Just what did this accomplish?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »
Are you talking about the blackout overall, or the participation of GBO? The overall blackout by the big guys like Wikipedia, Google, etc. appears to have convinced a number of congresscritters to withdraw their support and/or sponsorship of SOPA/PIPA as written. Also seven million folks signed an online petition against the proposals.

Time will tell whether there will be modified or different versions of these bills in the future, but at the moment Congress heard and saw a significant swelling of protest. It shows that people responding to government still has some life, democratic activity ain't quite dead yet.

As for GBO's participation... dunno about the rest of the planet, but it made me, and few others, feel better.

oh yeah, here's a link to a recent piece: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts-law/after-wikipedia-blackout-lawmakers-struggle-to-keep-anti-piracy-bills-on-track/2012/01/19/gIQAqc9ZBQ_story.html Note this quote from the article: “In terms of communicating with government the country is never going to be the same.” Maybe a bit over-the-top, but it seems to sum up participation by folks who don't agree with the bill's purpose.
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
Well, it puts Obummer in a pickle.  On Megyn Kelly's show today, they ran a segment saying the Hooeywood elite will withhold campaign cash if they do not get their pet legislation.    We got somebody's attention.....

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline scootrd

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
talk about Hypocracy ,

3 of the largest congressional voices pushing this legislation were found to have copyright materials on their personal Govt website they did not get approval from owners to use.

It doesn't take all kinds.... there just are.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »
GBO's participation along with that of other popular websites, has already caused some politicians to think twice about supporting that bill.  Two of the co-sponsors of the Senate version (NY Senators Chuckie & Gillibrand) of the bill changed their mind real fast. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
Just what did this accomplish?

I stalled the latest assault on the constitution and freedom in America. The cowards in Washington will take the worst parts of the bill and hide it in something completely unrelated. It was a victory. But, we the people need to watch close and hold those attacking freedom accountable.

I thank GBO and those of you who participated.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala