Author Topic: .223 to 222 mag re chamber  (Read 694 times)

Offline black-tail

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 to 222 mag re chamber
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:05:17 AM »
Finally getting around to playing with the wife 223.  She wants to compete with me in sharpshooting events.  Yesterday I started working up two loads, a 50gr V-mad and a  36gr VG.  I checked the  throat depth and WOW  this baby has some free bore.  Wile doing a case inspection I found quite a few split necks on my cases, some were once fired and some were once reloaded(2 times fired) This got me thinking that I may have a headspace or loose neck.  So I got the bright idea that a rechamber to .222 Rem Mag may be in order.  The accuracy of this rife has been good, but has always had a difficult time extracting cases, on both factory and hand loads, split necks may be the issue.  The wife 7-08 seems to split necks too????

Any who back  on track rechamber to  Rem Mag a good idea???

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
Re: .223 to 222 mag re chamber
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:44:56 AM »

Check out page 14 of the SAAMI pub at :
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/206.pdf

It shows that the 222 rem mag is 50000 CUP, and the 223 rem is 52000 CUP , If I understand you correctly you want to clean up a questionable chamber/throat/leed  of the 223 with the 222 mag which in my humble opinion would be a great idea.

I would consider a hand reamer as the tool of choice but others my have a different opinion.

Otter Bob

Offline black-tail

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:11:23 PM »
Yes, re chamber to clean up  long throat and make dead sure headspace is on.

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »
You're only talking .090 on length and ~030 on shoulder length increase on the 222mag.  If it were mine I think I'd first do a cast of the 223 chamber and measure the headspace to find out exactly what's going on and Exactly how much it would take to correct.
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:29:17 PM »
Meant to but forgot to comment in the last post on the splitting neck issue.....  Only going by what information you're giving us here I'd tend to think it's a reloader or reloading issue.  Headspace issues almost always show up as split cases a little up the case from the web.  Split necks I'd tend to think are showing overworking of the necks and/or lack of proper lubing when sizing.  Are you trimming to length and properly deburring the inside and out of the necks?
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline black-tail

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:03:14 AM »
Went to the range yesterday, I used new Winchester cases, full length small base sized and loaded with either 50hr Vmax bullets or Varmint Grenades.  NO split necks, I have the brass separated and will count the reloads. Think I may have had some issues with brittle brass.  The 7-08 was all once fired R-P brass. Going to try Winchester brass next.  I have had great luck with Winchester nickel plated brass in my 280 target rifle.